1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Charlie Blackmouth is incorrect.

It is Jeff Agoos, who scored an own goal after we got up 3-0 against Portugal.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Cowboys' Brett Maher kicked a 63-yard field goal against the Eagles last night, making him the first to make three from 60-plus and the seventh person to kick at least a 63-yarder.
    The question is, who held the NFL record before Tom Dempsey made his 63-yarder?

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Bert Rechicar (sp). I want to say it was a free kick? 54 yards

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yes, and it was was 56 yards.
    That had to be something you just knew, right? I'd never even heard of him until looking some stuff up on Maher's field goals this morning.

5. cyclingwriter2

In one his books, Alex Hawkins makes Rechichar sound like a real character. Used to introduce himself to new players just by saying, “hey, I’m number 44.” Also, Hawkins helped him move after he got cut and they drove around greater Baltimore picking up his belongings.

Batman likes this.
  6. cyclingwriter2

What hockey of Hall of Famer, twice had the rule books rewritten while coaching juniors. The rules that had to be rewritten?
    — during penalty shots, he put a defenseman in goal who came out and would check the forward.
    — would have his goalies leave a broken stick in front of the net when coming out for an extra attacker late in games.

Hint, he was an active coach for most of the 1980s and 1990s.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also, Rechichar was on the bench when Ewbank yelled for him to go out and try the 56-yarder. Supposedly, Bert said, “What the hell does he want?”

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sounds like Scotty Bowman.

9. cyclingwriter2

Good guess, but not Bowman. Both of these guys were masters of tossing coins on the ice, and I want to say Bowman hired him at least once.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Then probably Mike Keenan? Was that his name?

Liut likes this.
  11. cyclingwriter2

Not Keenan.

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Neilsen. I barely know hockey but I was reading a slideshow yesterday about people across sports who were innovators and his name came up.

Draft saved Draft deleted