1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure sports trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No. He was on the field when we benefitted from the Escobar own goal though.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You mean Ernie Davis, not Little.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, duh. Same school, same number, brain fart.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Eli and Billy are correct, and you have the story accurate except for the name of Syracuse grad. It was Ernie Davis.

That is five. There is a sixth. He is the tough one.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Emtmann or Aundray Bruce?

6. CD Boogie

Just looked it up. I wanna whip myself for not getting it because I've been sort of obsessed with that guy's career and life.

7. cyclingwriter2

The sixth is/was Tom Cousineau, who had quite the fascinating life. Drafted by the Bills out of Ohio State, he instead to the CFL where he was given a much bigger contract with Montreal. He was MVP of the Grey Cup as a rookie. However after three seasons, he went back to the NFL, but with the Browns. He was overshadowed by fellow linebackers Clay Matthews and Chip Banks, and the fact that he wore and earring created whispers about his manliness. He then finished his carer as a backup with the 49ers.

However, the Bills fans for have a ray of light. The browns gave up a first round pick to acquire Cousineau, and that puck became Jim Kelly

maumann likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

Shows how shitty my research skills can be. I thought the last one was John Matuszak, but turns out he did play for the Oilers for a year after being drafted No. 1 and also dabbled in the WFL that year. I thought he just played in the WFL before going to KC his second year.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That certainly was quite a shitty trade for the Bills, at least at first. Most teams usually ask for a bag of pucks. The Browns only had to give up one puck.

maumann and Batman like this.
  10. cyclingwriter2

Ha, in a perfect world, they would have traded the rights to Kelly after a few years to Tampa and promptly drafted Bo Jackson..

11. cyclingwriter2

Cruising with the Cous

12. CD Boogie

I gotta read that Matuszak memoir, it's ridiculous I haven't given how many stories I've read about his self-destructive ways. BTW, "Badasses: The Legend of Snake, Foo, Dr. Death, and John Madden's Oakland Raiders" by Peter Richmond is a highly entertaining read. Can't recommend it enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted