1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure American history trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I don't like making folks wait overnight if the question has generated some interest.

The answer is North Dakota. Centralia was renamed Fargo in honor of Northern Pacific Railway director and Wells Fargo Express Company founder William Fargo.

Edwinton, named after Edwin L. Johnson, who was a proponent of a transcontinental railway. In 1873 it was renamed in honor of the German chancellor Otto von Bismarck in the hope of attracting German investment in the railway. The Dakota Territory capital was moved from Yankton to Bismarck in 1883 and became the state capital when the Dakota Territory became North and South Dakota in 1889.

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Name the three states to never have an American battleship named after them?

3. micropolitan guy

Just guessing Hawaii and Alaska, because we'd quit building battleships by then.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I had one I was going to guess — but then I remembered the Maine.

5. micropolitan guy

Well I know the Utah, Nevada, California, Oklahoma and Arizona were at Pearl Harbor. Dewey sailed into Manilla Bay on the Oregon. The Maine blew up, so did one of the Iowa's guns. Japan surrendered on the Missouri. Bob Feller served on the Alabama. So that narrows it down.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I see what you did there…

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I had to Google the third. That is a tricky bit of trivia.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Shoot, I had a hard enough time coming up with all 13 original colonies. I can probably figure out the one you forget about.

9. cyclingwriter2

Those are two and that is the reason why. The third state was on the schedule when the navy decided to stop building them.

10. cyclingwriter2

there are some odd stories about the history of American battleships.

11. cyclingwriter2

The third state is Montana, but they have a good Zappa song so it evens out.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What state has the largest lower legislative house in the country (house of delegates, representatives, etc.)?

Draft saved Draft deleted