1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obscure American history trivia

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, Sep 10, 2019.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Both of James Madison's VP's died in office. It's actually pretty amazing how many sitting Veeps have died.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Not enough of them

upload_2019-10-3_13-4-54.jpeg

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Correct on both parts. One of Madison's VPs was the infamous/legendary Elbridge Gerry!

4. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

While Paul Revere gets the credit, there were probably 40 riders who alerted the Massachusetts countryside just before the British marched on Lexington and Concord. However, at least two are named because they rode with Revere. Who were they? Bonus: what quasi illicit activity had one been doing before being pressed into service by Revere, Adams and Hancock.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

One was named Dawes, I believe. Probably a black marketeer.

6. cyclingwriter2

Dawes was one. He rode all the way from Boston.

7. Hickory Smoke

Hickory Smoke New Member

Prescott was the other.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  8. cyclingwriter2

Correct. He was found leaving a young woman’s house at 1 am....hence the quasi illicit

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Revere didn't even make it. He was caught by sentries.
    Revere was made famous by the poem.

One of Revere's most meaningful contributions - if not to the war effort - was being kind of a CSI. Anyone know how?
    (BTW, I'm leaving for the beach in the morning, so if I don't get back to the thread in 4-5 days, that's why.)

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Another interesting note on William Dawes.
    His great-great grandson, Charles Dawes, won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1925 and was vice president under Calvin Coolidge.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  11. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure Dawes had a descendant that played a big part for the Union at Gettysburg.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure if it was a big part, but Rufus Dawes was a Union officer at Gettysburg and later promoted to general. Rufus was the great-grandson of William, and father of Charles.
    Rufus also served a term in Congress and his three other sons besides Charles achieved some level of prominence as well.

Rufus Dawes - Wikipedia

Draft saved Draft deleted