1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obits

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by printdust, Jan 19, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Does your paper run obits verbatim from the funeral homes at a cost? Most do.
    How many edit obvious grammar issues in these? Or do you let it go as is and fortunately have English-competent individuals at the funeral homes? Or, are they borderline illiterate and prove it with each obit?

I can't begin to imagine what the general reader thinks of some of these that are totally in the raw.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

We have a small stylebook written up for our paper, which takes away (or adds to it, if you really think about it) headaches.
    The good is, every one that runs looks like same style. Bad, people don't understand this and call to bitch the next day (especially on the, "we don't run names of grand children.") because little Jimmy wasn't included in grandpop's obit. Tough shit...fork out the cash for the space and we'll oblige.
    Barebones runs for free, otherwise you pay if you want it run how the funeral home writes it up.
    And we ONLY take info from funeral homes. We stopped letting random people e-mail stuff in after getting slightly burnt on an obit.

3. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

We pretty much run whatever comes from the funeral homes. We edit for grammar and style but make no major changes to the content of the obit. You get 100 words free and then its 25 cents a word after that so you are free to write whatever you want. If you pay, we run it.

I remember we actually ran an obit that said this guy was a leprechaun and believed he had the power to make rainbows. I started out as the obit clerk at my paper when I was in college so I am somewhat familiar with the process.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

We had a local sports figure pass away once and our SE wrote a lengthy (and good) story about him, with quotes from many who knew him.

One readers' response: "You write more about people after they die than you do while they are alive."

SE's response: "Drop dead. Maybe then I'll find something nice to write about you."

5. printdust

printdust New Member

We correct major spelling errors but correcting capitalization, scratching the state of your hometown and surrounding towns even when it's obvious to a kindergartner where these are and grammar issues be damned.

Draft saved Draft deleted