1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, May 27, 2022.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup. That is correct. He was lowered into position. There is still some symmetry to the two scenes, but they are very different.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I dunno where y’alls think Episode 4 was meh. I found it to be better than any episode of Mando.
    Really.
    The action was intense, the twists unexpected, and it just had an old school Star Wars vibe about it. Especially when we saw for the first time Leia throw down the “I’m a princess!” whine that we love when she delivers it to Hans 20 (?) years later!
    I am all in on this storyline now.

Roscablo and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Vader storming down the hallway toward Reva threatens the Rogue One sequence for sheer intimidation.

Roscablo likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Not sure about the Mando part but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Roscablo likes this.
  5. Starman

Lots of action in Part 5, a big twist (which everyone saw coming).

6. outofplace

It is tough to pull off many surprises when we know how things end for the two main characters and most of the supporting ones, but the execution is excellent.

7. Starman

Now they gotta wrap things up in such
    a way that Vader gets no inkling of the significance of Leia (or really even of Luke).

Reva knows now that Owen Lars was holding out on her on Tattoine, but does she understand the significance of Luke?

Also the idea that Vader would deal her a shoulder wound to end their fight, then walk away from her lying on the ground is a whopper. You'd think Vader would realize that he himself is the biggest example of the folly of leaving a powerful foe lying on the ground without making sure to finish them off.

Of course there are rumors of an Obi-Wan Season 2 series in the works, along with a Reva series as well as a Darth Vader series, so I suppose they could leave some of those loose ends to tie up in those eventual spin-offs.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  8. outofplace

That is my primary question regarding the episode. Why leave Reva alive? Does he just think she's too weak to ever be a threat? Vader is arrogant enough. Sure, Obi-Wan shouldn't have let him live, but Anakin Skywalker was a hell of a lot more powerful than Reva, especially in his own mind.

The obvious answer is in that last paragraph, that they want her alive for future series. Also, I'm certain she still has a role to play in this one. Those just aren't storytelling reasons.

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Starman

I think they're gonna try a return-to-the-light move with Reva; she'll end up diverting Vader away from the twins. Remember, Vader isn't supposed to know he has any offspring AT ALL until the aftermath of the Battle of Yavin, when he's trying to figure out how the Rebels had this amazingly Force-powerful farm boy from Tattooine. Then the bell goes off.

Trying to turn Reva into a good guy is quite a stretch. She's killed a lot of people and taken part in a lot of atrocities.

10. Starman

I think they're holding off one more big Vader-Kenobi battle for next week (and maybe subsequent series), but they've got to be careful about pumping that hole dry.

When Kenobi and Vader battle in A New Hope, it's supposed to be the first time in a long time they've crossed paths.

You can't have, "Obi-Wan, we meet again at last' and Obi-Wan says, "well yeah, if you don't count the time we tangled three months ago on Cato Nemoidi, or the time two weeks earlier we battled in through the mines of Geonosis, etc etc"

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To take this line of thought a step further - I kind of think Kenobi fakes his death, or, Vader has reason to believe he died, by the end of this series. Otherwise, why would Vader stop hunting for him?

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  12. Starman

Big Daddy Palpy might have other things for him to do. Ian McDiarmid has hinted he may appear in some limited way (a hologram, etc etc).

By the time of A New Hope, something has happened to Vader's standing in the Empire to allow Grand Moff Tarkin to order him around like a flunky and Admiral Motti mouth off to him in the staff meetings.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted