1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, May 27, 2022.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I knew what you meant and I agree.

2. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

I was really disappointed with it.

I just don't think we'll see the conspicuous burst of brilliance that was seen in Mandalorian.

It's not that the makers suck, but that was such a high bar Disney will have difficulty reaching it again.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I’m not judging any TV series on 3 episodes.

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Normally I agree, but I think as a hard sci-fi rule, it needs to get out to a good start. That did not happen.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Andor Ep. 4 was definitely a set-up episode. Nice to get some back story on Mon Mothma and WHY she’s a big deal.

This series has a slower pacing. Not something everyone likes. I’m a fan of this sort of detail and the politics of it all.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

The close-up look as the bureaucracy and the "boring" or the every day aspects of the Empire and its people are really interesting.

SFIND and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  7. outofplace

I get that point, but I still haven't finished the episode. I was bored.

I'm currently reading The Last Command by Timothy Zahn, the final book in the original Thrawn Trilogy. The storytelling there just blows Andor out of the water. Of course, those books set a high bar. I hadn't read them in years, but I'm going through the trilogy in about a month, and that included a delay of a couple of days while I waited for Amazon to deliver the second and third one. I only had Heir to the Empire.

maumann and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

I read the Zahn trilogy as they came out. So great. Might buy them again and reread.

maumann likes this.
  9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I haven’t read those since the early 1990s, but I got a big wave of memories. There were a lot of cool elements in that trilogy. Even C3-PO had a nice little part where he gives an insight into his emotions on the lives of droids.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    maumann and Octave like this.
  10. outofplace

Zahn could have just relied on existing characters, and obviously they are a big part of the book, but he also created and incorporated Thrawn, Mara Jade, and Talon Karrde. Thrawn is already part of the new canon and I imagine the others will also make it at some point.

maumann likes this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Mara Jade will not.

12. Deskgrunt50

Think I read somewhere Thrawn is supposed to be in the Ahsoka series.

Draft saved Draft deleted