1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obfuscating language

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

This falls into a 'pet peeve' sub-category.

I've long disliked the over-use of the word 'impact' when what is meant is 'effect' and/or 'affect.'
    The over-use of 'impact' has resulted in its loss of 'impact.'

My latest one is 'reach out.'
    Enough already. You contacted the person, you left a voicemail, you sent an email.
    Why does it always have to be: "I've reached out to XXXX.'
    Ugh

Riptide and Bronco77 like this.
  2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agree with both of those.

The one that drives me nuts is "______ is speaking out tonight..."

I probably take at least three of those out of scripts each week. Answering the phone and agreeing to talk should not be considered "speaking out."

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Pretty much anything that has ever been written in the lede of an AP "alternative writethru."

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

This word also is a pet peeve of mine, especially when used as a verb: "Injuries to the offensive line are impacting Team A's running game and pass protection." It's almost as bad as "efforting."

Another is the use of "up" as a verb, as in "Insurer ups auto rates."

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

My peeve lately is "so-and-so told the Podunk Press." Well no shit they told you; you're quoting them. Tell me when they didn't speak with you because that is actually important.

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The only time I want to see that phrase is when the story is in the Pissant Post and their writer didn't get his own quote.

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

That's what I meant, I just wrote it badly. If you got the quote from another outlet, say so. If you got it from a press release/website, say so. Otherwise we're all smart enough to assume you spoke with the person.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I hate the word "peeve".

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My favorite is when multiple outlets say that while all using the same exact quote.

It's all part of the "branding strategy" that someone thinks will make us look more important and "connected" than we are.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Perhaps if it WAS you who got the quote, I could see it. Or if that's your publication's style when getting a quote from the source, I could see it.

Otherwise, ugh.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

What the fuck's with the big word in the thread head? Whaddaya think, we've all got vocabularies around here? [/93Devil]

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Two things my best journalism professor at Three Chopt Tech ever said:

1. When asked how to spell "diminutive," he replied, "S M A L L."

2. "Less is better."

Draft saved Draft deleted