1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oberlin is more insufferable than Mizzou

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Dec 23, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Some might think she's in the sloe-eyed Sabra realm. I have no opinion either way.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The rule is he has to be in the band. If he could pick one, he'd rather be in the orchestra. If he does both it adds 6+ hours of rehearsal time during afternoons each week in the time of day hed otherwise be free to take English or whatever. His mornings are booked with required music classes.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Can't he give up his scholarship and do whatever he wants?

Would seem to me if he is there on a scholarship for band, participating in band is a reasonable requirement.

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

It's definitely silly that someone who gets a band scholarship has to be in the band.

During my studies, I wanted free tuition, but my university had a silly rule that in order to receive a college newspaper scholarship, I had to be an editor for the school newspaper and work Thursday and Friday afternoons to put out the paper.

5. doctorquant

Your son's experience sounds a lot like my son's, although there's very little pressure for cellists to march in the band. Music is a unique beast on campus, though.

But if your son's scholarship is a band scholarship, it's like Bear Bryant (supposedly) said ... You gotta dance with the one what brung you.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

7. doctorquant

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's a music scholarship. It's the sypmphonic (sit-down) band vs. the orchestra. His instrument is used in both.

It would be like getting a football scholarship to play safety and the coaches won't let you play cornerback even if you're faster than the rest of the cornerbacks. But you can do both if you want.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The problem with that is they don't WANT it to benefit everyone. They only want it for themselves. They're demanding segregation.

Someone should ask them if they want separate water fountains too.

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Regarding the title of this thread, such a claim can't genuinely be made until a poster shows up named OberlinGrad96.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Hey man, give them some Re2pect.

Draft saved Draft deleted