1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oberlin is more insufferable than Mizzou

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Dec 23, 2015.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, you know, you might have a point if their demands were remotely related to those issues. But they were not. No demands for tuition relief, no demands related to student debt issues, nor for reallocation of resources away from the athletic department. Instead their demands were basically just a reiteration of the sort of PC racial demands made in the Mizzou case, almost as if they thought "hey, they got lots of attention, that looks like fun, let's do it too....."

I have some familiarity with the Oberlin scene. The place is packed to the gills with PC-conscious liberals and little else. Full of folks bending over backward to prove how open minded and accommodating they are. The notion it being an unduly hostile environment for minorities is ludicrous. Mizzou, I can see ...public university in a fairly redneck state ..yeah, it kinda fits the profile. But Oberlin? Please.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    SpeedTchr likes this.
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oh I get that, my point was colleges need to be responsive to their students. I too get tired of people demanding stuff of others when they seem unwilling to put in the time and effort to make change happen. I have no doubt most colleges have structures and policies in place to make some of this stuff happen, but it takes time. Much easier to hold a one-off protest in front of the TV cameras. Attending board meetings, voting in student elections, taking leadership positions , who has the time?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's actually kind of Orwellian. A safe space would be, you know, safe. The last thing the safe space crowd wants is something like that.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Mike Leach put Craig James' kid in one of these and got fired for his trouble.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Pretty sure boosters and athletic departments are paying for those things, not the university's general operating budget.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I love my dead gay bowler.

8. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Only 20 or so NCAA athletics departments turn a profit, which includes counting donations as revenue. Doubt every school is getting enough uniform donations to pay for the cost.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The accounting for any of that is awfully, awfully sketchy. I suspect far more programs are cash-flow neutral/positive than is generally understood.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I suspect what Oberlin spends on athletics is roughly equal to what Ohio State brings in annually from popcorn sales.

LongTimeListener and poindexter like this.
  11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

HBCUs should be using this movement as a recruiting tool.

Draft saved Draft deleted