1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oberlin College has to fork over $44 mill to family bakery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

His review of Italian night is already written.

cjericho likes this.
  2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

To label bad sushi "disrespectful to the Asian culture" is horseshit (as is the sushi). No one sets out to disrespect an entire culture because they don't know how to make sushi exactly as they do in Japan. And if the crappy sushi is okay with me because I don't know the difference, so what?
    It's like the women in the Southwest who went to Mexico, ate at the good restaurants, studied the cuisine and came back to their U.S. restaurant and tried to replicate the dishes. They caught hell. Which was idiotic. There's no copyright on food and how you make it. If I own a restaurant, go to Vietnam, like something I ate there, then come back and make it but substitute A1 sauce, no one should have squat to say about it. Don't like it. Don't order it.

lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I know he doesn't meet the Threshold of Significance, but anyway...

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, that settles that.

5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Banh mi is fucking delicious.

If you eat a decent one once you will search for more the rest of your life.

britwrit likes this.
  6. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

"They will not abandon their religion." LOL

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

The instant "snowflakes being snowflakes" argument is fucking childish.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Yes. Not always easy to get right, because they can be dry.

I like a 4 to 6-incher cut into 2/3 inch halves, extra vegetables.

Now, does it have to be pate? No. (The article pointed to pate being the preferred condiment.) I'd have good ones without. You need something that balances out what should be crunchy elements, and you need chili sauce. A small portion of the cherry pepper puree they make at Jersey Mike's (which can be replicated easily at home), plus some chili sauce, is good for it.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Mine was like a sloppy joe on a bogie roll with shaved beef instead of ground and a sauce so good it puts the eyes in the back of your head. They added a lot of mayo and cilantro and jalapeño peppers on the top.

Dear, God, it was glorious.

Not that many people serve it because it is a Vietnamese peasant food if I recall correctly.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think it's people intimidated by pickling vegetables. They think of their moms' mason jars.

Pho - another Vietnamese staple - is a challenge to serve because you kind of know it won't be as good as what you'd have in a restaurant. I've never made it as good as any good pho I had out. It's like paella that way.

But banh mi's...you can make good ones of those at home. Cubans too.

britwrit likes this.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Scout likes this.
  12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted