1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O'Bannon wins, but NCAA may not suffer that much

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Are you meaning the league office and not the teams?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Check it out and see where it takes you.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's summertime. I'm not doing homework.

4. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I read what Dan Wetzel wrote at Yahoo and he was right to say that this is not a knockout blow, but still a blow, and I personally suspect this has only just begun.

Really, though, anyone who expected the O'Bannon lawsuit to lead to the immediate demise of amateurism was expecting too much. Progress is made in small steps, not gigantic leaps. But I expect the O'Bannon ruling to be the first ruling that starts unraveling the amateurism thread and the NCAA either needs to start thinking about to evolve, or watch it all fall apart and another organization comes in to take its place.

As for the non-profit stuff, the government was the one who granted the NCAA that status, just as it did with the NFL. So blame those in the government who gave them that status and let them keep the status because they'll get free tickets and campaign contributions for doing so.

But back to the O'Bannon lawsuit: I suspect this is only the beginning.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Middle aged white men weep.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The NCAA doesn't pay for those courts. The host sites pay to rent the courts for the first two weekends and I believe the FF host pays for the FF court or the manufacturer provides it then sells it afterwards.

Recruiting budgets aren't "limitless" either.

Draft saved Draft deleted