1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's speech - tremendous

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Mar 18, 2008.

1. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

I'm a McCain supporter, but just from reading it, that sounded like a fantastic speech. He said what he needed to say, hit the points he needed to hit, and didn't come off sounding like a schmooze in the meantime.
    I'd still rather have a president who admits when he doesn't know everything about everything than one who can blow your hat off with his speaking but does it with mostly abstract ideals.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have preferred Hillary because I she has a broad knowledge of how things work, what needs to be done and isn't afraid to roll up her sleeves and get things done.

That speech, though, really is tremendous. I am most impressed with how Obama took a negative -- crazy black preacher hates white folks -- turned it into a positive and didn't distance himself from anyone.

The ability to take a problem and make hay out of it is mighty impressive, I gotta say.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Would be nice . . . but in today's sound-bite world nobody can afford even five seconds of humility. Saying, "I don't know everything about everything" would only serve as negative campaign fodder for his opponent. "We can't trust someone who DOESN'T KNOW what to do . . . "

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

McCain's done it, admitting he's an economic ignoramus. It's one of the reasons to lean against him, but it's not like we weren't aware of it, before he said it.

5. Not for nothing, but MSNBC made sure we knew what Squint Scarborough and Pat Fucking Buchanan thought of it straight off.
    This country is so fucked.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I just finished lunch so I wasn't up to the task of listening to what they said. What were their comments?

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I didn't hear it, but I could take a pretty good guess.

8. About what you'd expect.
    Squint thought it was a good speech and probably changed a couple of minds.
    Pat thought it was a good speech and that Negroes shouldn't be elected presid...ah...that it wouldn't change any minds.

9. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Why is it a bad thing that the guy says, "Hey, I might need some help on that," and surrounds himself with people who DO know? Better than BSing your way through an answer when you don't know it.

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Is that what McCain said?

11. And that was the excuse we got in 2000 when people mentioned that Fredo was sort of detached from knowledge. He'd have "good people" around him.
    How'd that work out?

12. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Not directly, no. But it's not like the guy doesn't have a clue, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted