1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's speech - tremendous

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think it was even 75 percent as good as MLK's classic.

But Obama did deliver a thoughtful, intelligent speech on a very complex issue. And he did it damn well while making some good points about the state of American politics.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Has someone made that comparison yet?

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I never said that. It's a great speech, tremendous even, but speeches like "I Have a Dream" are so tremendous they're in a class to themselves head & shoulders above anything else.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, it's a respite from a guy who can barely string a sentence together.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And who thinks that the more money you have the better you are.

6. To say nothing of the Republican alternative, who hasn't given any indication that he really understands much of anything at all.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No ... but ... Mizzou ... is ... going ... to ... post ... whatever ... he ... wants ... to ... post ... facts ... be ... damned.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Rush Limbaugh: "[Obama has] class envy, class warfare and a great misunderstanding of basic economics.”

Now we know where flopflipper gets his talking points.

Learn to think for yourself. It's not that difficult. Foof.

9. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

I usually read these threads without posting, but I must say this:

That was an outstanding speech. MLK's was better; I agree with Inky on that point. But this is the kind of speech that has not been made for the better part of 40 years, IMHO.

I am a Obama supporter. I think he did what he had to do here. Having Rev. Wright as a spiritual supporter is his history; this is the man who brought him to Chrisitanity after all. Having Wright as part of his campaign was, again IMHO, a big mistake--one that in the past could have derailed him. I guess it still could.

This was his big moment. My wife and I agreed: fair or not, he had to do this. If he can't unite a majority behind him now, when he's facing criticism during a primary, he's not ready...even if I believe he is.

This was a big test. He passed. My God, did he pass.

Now he could still lose his shot at the White House, that is true. But 'it's all out on the table' now, so to speak. In my opinion, this is now America's test.

If Obama wins, the nation passes the test. If Obama loses because not enough believe in his experience, or don't agree with his policies; if he loses because not enough believe that he'll lead the country through what will be a very rough economic period, or if he loses because not enough agree with his foreign policy; if it's for any substantive reason...the nation still passes the test.

If Obama loses the nomination, or the presidency, because of Reverend Wright, the nation fails the test. Hell, if we as a nation vote against McCain because of his spiritual advisers, we fail.

'People get the government they deserve'. Truer words have never been spoken.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

WFW, Gooch.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well said, Gooch. Now if we could only convince others of that same thing.

12. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

I don't think this speech will be well-recieved in Central Pennsylvania, for example, where Obama is expected to fare poorly. I don't think it changes much of anything in the minds of the voters. Supporters will think it's fabulous and detractors will think it's somehow biased against whites. Hopefully, some will recognize his political bravery and realize that his opponents don't have a clue what it's like to live as a normal citizen in this country.

Draft saved Draft deleted