1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's speech - tremendous

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Mar 18, 2008.

1. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

What came through in the speech is that Obama is more white than black, if you want to characterize things in that ugly way. His father was basically there for conception. He played no role in the man's upbringing. All of Obama's values were instilled by his white mother and white grandparents. That makes the effort to label him all the more disappointing. Truth be told, he is not of one race -- which might be why he has the guts to talk about these things in a candid manner.

2. Oh, you just watch them.
    I have no faith in our brethren in the political media.
    That speech went sailing right over their heads.

3. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I loved that "silly season" remark he made in the debate. I wish he would have mentioned Edwards' haircut, Hillary's bad tip and even thrown in something about Republican nitpicking BS.

I can't stand that crap. I hate how the networks say something's an issue, and then make it an issue by talking about it (that goes for democrats and republicans), assign a graphic to something, and then call it the candidate's (fill in the blank) problem.

Who says it's a problem? You? Well who the fuck are you?

rant over

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sadly, Fen is correct.

And when that video is available on YouTube or his campaign Web site, somebody please link it.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Is it on Youtube yet? I would have an easier time hearing him deliver it (I love his speeches) than reading that.

Inky beat me to it.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

What's funny is that many of the same complaints people make about ESPN and how the talking heads there "make" the stories could also apply to politics.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Well done, senator.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The speech lasted close to 40 minutes. So when it goes up on YouTube it will likely be in several segments.
    Don't know if this is going to be the full speech or just a portion of it, but it's up on his website:
    http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/samgrahamfelsen/gGBbKG

9. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

What was outstanding about it? He is what he is. He's an above average orator. He's also a marxist who believes that people aren't smart enough to take care of themselves and the government must do it for them. Class envy, class welfare. He could have just gone to Oprah's coach and cried. It would have accomplished the same thing.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Damn.

He has raised the bar for his own speeches quite high.

And he still cleared it with that.

Talking about how he could no more disown his pastor than he could disown his grandmother, who told him she was scared when she walked past black men on the street.

That's powerful.

11. The problem, of course, is two threads over.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/54171/

12. chubster

chubster Member

He said in 'conversations' he hadn't heard the Rev. disparage a group. He wasn't talking about the sermons.

Draft saved Draft deleted