1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's sermon in Atlanta 1/20/08

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Jan 20, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's a great story.

2. He also posed for a picture with my daughter and was quite gracious when I explained to him how I'd sent him a Christmas card every year since he went to the Four Corners in the 1977 championship game.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Dean be better next time "

4. OK, now THAT was funny.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I disagree with both assertions. Stating that there is a disparity is merely stating fact. Saying that it is a societal problem is also a fact. As a society we should be emphasizing education, challenge, and reading. Instead we are promoting White Castle (“Yeah. He’s one of ours.”), video games and text books that hate evolution. If you want to break down the disparity, you need to promote a means for the lower end to advance to the higher end.

I wouldn’t call that communism. I would call that capitalizing on a system that should promote the most educated.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Pastor, I guess we'll just have to disagree. Those may be statements of fact, but their presence in this particular speech smacks of class warfare. The phrasing he used is prototypical class warfare rhetoric, and I still maintain it has no place in a speech about national unity. He'll not have any credibility as a bridge builder unless he tones that down.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Where's the beef?

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Foots?

[Yeah, yeah. I took a day off. So sue me.]

I'm now analyzing why Huckabee's sermons are less palatable to me than Obama's. That statement about amending the Constitution may have something to do with it.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Too bad about your rep here . . . . . because I think there is wisdom in these particular words that I quoted.

People want that inspiring politician, usually young, who makes speeches that sound like sugar for the ears. Clinton was well-coached by his Hollywood friends and pulled off this image. Hell, I own a videotape of JFK's great speeches, and I was more than a decade from beuing born when he was assassinated.

The point in the NY Times article about Obama's speechwriters taking inspiration from JFK, RFK and MLK s not a surprising one. But at this point, how much of the extreme love for Obama is based on wonderful speeches (and they are excellent, absolutely) and cult of personality, with the edges filled in by his hopeful supporters?

To be fair, this happens all the time in politics. It's like being a political fanboy. People see things, see positives, that might not be there because they want so much for the person they support to be able to fulfill their wildest dreams and fantasies of how a politician shoul be. In 2004, some put Kerry on a pedestal because they wanted so badly to tell themselves they were voting for quality, not just "The guy not named Bush."

Obama is a guy who has spent much of his life in political office . . . campaigning for the next-highest office. And he is indisputably one hell of a campaigner and speaker. But he also has an unjaded quality, an "optimistic idealism" at best, almost a "naivete" at worst, that I know a lot of people like. And as a journalist, I will be very interested to see if, when that inevitable tipping point happens, how well he will react when idealism is no longer enough.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What's so bad about class warfare?

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Nothing, if you're a communist

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

I took that as a reference to the shrinking middle class in this country, not an attack on rich people.

Draft saved Draft deleted