1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's sermon in Atlanta 1/20/08

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Boom --
    Post some more quotes from 2002 while you're at it.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link.

I'm with you about Obama. Perhaps I'm naive, perhaps it's because he's closer to my age than the other candidates but he gives me hope for the future as well. Not so much with the others.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There is a difference between blaming CEOs for the disparity of wealth and mentioning that a disparity exists. He isn’t saying that CEOs don’t deserve the money that they make, but he is talking about the idea that some people make a lot more money than others and that is certainly a problem this country has.

Odd comment for someone that posted the following in three different threads…

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Hitler made many powerful and well written speeches. Not that there's much in common but if you don;t think that religion has a place in politics then Obama's preaching is every bit as gross and disgusting and Bush going to Bob Jones University or Huckabee discussing his problems with evolution.

Obama proves to be just another politician with a manner of delivering a speech but no substance. He's becoming an empty vessel that the listener fills up with their favorite elixir.

As much a phoney and fraud as Hillary is, Obama's just as bad.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Went there for a high school trip in '94. Sat in for a Sunday service. I wished it was more lively when I was there. I was dozing off during the sermon it dragged out so long.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Not even close. The Black William Jennings Bryan, yes. Reagan knew how to sway people with words for public opinion.

Obama has a potential gift of motivating people to do things with passion.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What has he done? What has he motivated people to do?

8. I read that far.
    That was enough.

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Boom complaining that other people are recycling material. Hilarious.

10. It's what keeps us coming back.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Didn't say he was blaming them. I'm saying that to mention that disparity in an unqualified fashion is a divisive element in a speech purported to promote unity. And the notion that "some people making a lot more money than others" is a societal problem skirts uncomfortably close to communism for me.

12. At the FF a few years ago, the family and I went to Ebenezer Baptist for Easter services. The actual church is across the street from the big one, which is a national landmark now. Afterwards, we walked across the street into the old church. They pipe in recordings of Dr. King and his father. There was only one person in there listening, way in the back.
    Dean Smith.
    That was cool.

Draft saved Draft deleted