1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's plan for student loans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Welcome to America 2010, where a stimulus package that gives tax cuts to 95 percent of the country is considered "wasteful."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/01/25/poll.stimulus.money/index.html

Joe Klein sums it up perfectly:
    Read more: http://swampland.blogs.time.com/2010/01/25/too-dumb-to-thrive/#more-20613#ixzz0desbA8Ef

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Your post implies that the tax cuts were considered wasteful by americans. You neglected to mention the idiotic stuff that was spent in the name of 'stimulus'.

Disingenuous.

But you knew that.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Wow.

I could have gone to journalism school for like 30 bucks.

4. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Thanks for proving my point. Don't read the details. Just criticize. Government bad.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

True fact: The stimulus money spent to date is overwhelmingly tax cuts and direct aid to state and local governments. The public works expenditures will mostly take place this year. I don't blame folks who think the program didn't work -- the economy was way worse than the Obama folks thought and that's sure on them, and people are never going to approve of the idea that things didn't get fixed, but they would've been worse. Oh, great, the boat's got a SLOW leak.
    But what even right-wingers define as "waste" hasn't happened yet. Of course, a popular definition of waste is "government spending on somebody other than me."

6. poindexter

People may or may not be smarter than the jackass writer from Time gives them credit for.

When I hear 'stimulus' I think of the 80-85% of the new mortgages that the government is backing.

Cash for clunkers. Airport for Nobody.

7. poindexter

Government bad.

We finally agree on something.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How about AIG / Banker bonuses? Do you think those were a waste?

9. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

If you actually read the story, it's pretty clear.

This is absolutely hilarious. You post to defend the "implication" that people don't take time to learn the details about things they're criticizing.

And in the process, you don't take the time to learn the details of the things you're criticizing.

Perfect. God bless America.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The "waste" in the bailout was not seizing the banks and AIG as failed businesses and operating them under bank failure law. It would have cost more, but it was the economically correct thing to do.
    Unfortunately, it was a little too extreme for Obama, and it's too late for him to regret it now.

11. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

The legal market is in the absolute shitter right now. I'd bet students with law degrees would benefit from this program more than just about anybody.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-greenbaum8-2010jan08,0,4457698.story?track=rss

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I guess the federal deficit is no longer a problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted