1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's bullet-proof glass walls

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

I've done a Nexis search on this and can find multiple foreign reports -- in Ireland, Australia, England, Canada -- of huge bullet-proof glass walls -- 3 inches thick, 10 feet high, 15 feet long -- placed at the edges of the stage on both sides of Obama during his victory speech in Grant Park.

I can not find one report of the walls in an American newspaper. Not even in Chicago.

Anybody read it anywhere?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I heard it on CNN, and they showed the giant freakin things.

Haven't searched American news reports, though.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i also heard about the glass on CNN, but CNN made it seem as though there'd only be one wall. mrs. petty and i were anticipating his speech so we could see it/them and were surprised to see there were two walls set up at 45 degree angles ... i'm guessing that has something to do with shooting points.

4. sportsed

sportsed Member

Another underreported fact from that speech was the color choice of Obama's tie: red.

Thought that was a meaningful bit of info for a speech in which he needed to unify the country.

"It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Latino, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled - Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been a collection of Red States and Blue States: We are, and always will be, the United States of America."

I did a Google search the next day and couldn't find a single mention of the tie in any news report. And a Nexis search today returned nothing.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are the walls of the size common or uncommon? I really don't know.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't know... it might have simply been a power tie kind of thing.

Also, is the implication here that for some reason, American media would want to hide or avoid the fact that those walls were there? And if so, why?

Not saying that confrontationally, strictly curious.

7. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

I brought it up only because I thought it odd not to have reported bullet-proof glass walls in a month when two guys were arrested and charged with plotting to assassinate Obama. I, for one, have never seen bullet-proof glass walls protecting any politician, excepting, perhaps, the pope in the Popemobile. I mean, how could you write about the speech and not mention the walls?

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I understand...maybe it was more a matter of course than we think. I wonder if there was anything similar in Denver?

Don't know, good questions.

9. sportsed

sportsed Member

It seems that both are relevant: The symbolism of the red tie as Obama tries to unite a nation, as well as the presence of the glass walls as he warns, "To those who would tear the world down: We will defeat you."

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Maybe all the stories were written off of television by reporters whose papers cut back on their travel budgets.

But seriously ... maybe reporters were so far from the action, they couldn't even see the walls? I don't know. Good question. Now I'm curious, Dave.

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

They were pretty obvious on TV. Surely someone watching on one of the network feeds would've noticed them.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

He's worn a red tie a number of times during the campaign. I know he has been big on symbolism throughout, but I think this was simply the wearing of a power tie color.

Draft saved Draft deleted