1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's Brother in Kenya Says He Was Raised Muslim

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Monday, June 16, 2008
    Barack Obama's Half Brother Surprised to Hear Barack Not Raised Muslim

The question of whether Barack Obama is a Muslim or was raised a Muslim has bounced around here in the United States for some time. It's bounced around so long that at this point, most of it has ended up on many "myths" pages which say it simply isn't true.

Having read a number of reputable reports that indicate despite Obama's 20-year membership in a Christian church, I was again interested to see this piece from the Israel Insider a couple of days ago entitled "Malik Obama confirms his half-brother Barack grew up a Muslim."

Apparently the Obamas of Kenya have been reading those scurrilous emails to which Barack likes to refer, because they have no doubt -- contrary to the claims of the Obama campaign, that the presidential candidate was raised a Moslem. They take that as a given.

As the Jerusalem Post reports, "Barack Obama's half brother Malik said Thursday that if elected his brother will be a good president for the Jewish people, despite his Muslim background. In an interview with Army Radio he expressed a special salutation from the Obamas of Kenya."

If Obama indeed has a Muslim upbringing, so be it. If he chose to leave that and embrace Christianity, so be it. Many of us have left behind things we were exposed to as children.

For that matter, Keith Ellison from Minnesota is a practicing Muslim and was elected to Congress a couple of years ago.

Instead of the denials of Muslim upbringing from the Obama camp, Obama should confront the issue head on and just tell the truth. By denying a reality that too many people in-the-know are telling us is true, Obama is just adding to the uncertainty many people have about him, given what we DO know of him. http://www.dakotavoice.com/2008/06/barack-obamas-half-brother-surprised-to.html

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think I'd rather see more teacher-student sex threads.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That story is as ridiculous as the McCain story that ran in the British rag.

Stick to the issues.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A blog citing a blog citing a blog. It's the blogpocalypse!

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

On that, you and I agree, Mizzou. The Earth has stopped rotating.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Malik Obama didn't even meet his half-brother until 1985, when Barack Obama was 21 years old.

Story has no legs.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Another clownshow blog.

Fantastic.

8. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Malik holds a photo of Obama and him in Muslim dress, reportedly when the two first met in 1985

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

On a lark, I looked up "tinfoil hat news" on the off chance of finding a site where D_B might be finding his stories.

Shockingly (or not), turns out there's this site....

http://tinfoilhatnews.wordpress.com/

10. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

A candidate being HONEST about WHO HE IS is an issue - it speaks to the character of the person we trust to lead us.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So his wearing Muslim dress when he visits a Muslim-heavy area in a foreign nation is proof positive that he's a Muslim?

OK...I'm convinced. ::)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

What is "Muslim dress"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.