1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's approval rating sinks to new low

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I know polls show (temporarily) support for the idea, but I have to believe U.S. public interest in another Mideast war is very low. Hell, we've already lost two. Why go for the hat trick? And the plain military fact is, Israel's highly efficient air force is not big enough for the lengthy campaign required to even damage Iran's nuclear program, let alone end it. So I think all three countries are stuck where they are for now -- Iran with a deteriorating economy, and Israel and the U.S. with a sticky issue on which they disagree.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Actually, if he loses the year, Obama would still be eligible to run again in 2016. Highly unlikely, I know.

But hey, if Grover Cleveland could do it ...

3. Michael_ Gee

Oh, God, then we'd have another of those confusing arguments about how many Presidents there have been.

4. Baron Scicluna

I wonder what Grover Cleveland's campaign strategy was in '92? I wonder if it was "I told you so."

(Although he actually did win the popular vote in '88 as well, but lost the electoral vote due to some corruption).

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The "Not As Fat As Taft" campaign never caught fire.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Harrison would most assuredly had won the popular vote in 1888 (and easily) if Southern African-American men had been allowed to vote. Harrison was a Union veteran after all and Cleveland was not.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think it's extremely unlikely we will ever see a President return to office after four years again.

They would have to resist cashing in on the Presidency, which would be tough. And, they'd have to basically campaign for the job for the entire term they were out of office. That would be unseemly on one hand, and the party of the President who was voted out would not be happy with him/her still being the public face of the party.

The funny thing is, based on his experience in Arkansas, Bil Clinton might have been the one President who would have attempted it if he had been voted out after one term. And, he may have been successful.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

We -- the US and Israel -- are already at war with Iran. Stuxnet, the fire at the missile launch location, the assassination of numerous scientists are all indications that the Obama administration has Bibbi's back on this. No reason to think that will change, and no reason to think a hot war needs to break out in order to stop Iran from building a nuclear weapon.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why, on all that?

10. Michael_ Gee

Baron, corruption was not a factor in Harrison winning despite losing the popular vote. The huge majorities for any Democratic candidate in the South prior to the 1960s were the reason. And I agree with Guy, I don't think there's any inherent reason why a one-term defeated incumbent couldn't try his luck again. This would be especially true if said incumbent lost a close one. Suppose Kerry had defeated G.W. Bush (it was close). I'll bet Bush would have been considered a viable candidate in '08 or failing that, this year.

11. Baron Scicluna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocks_of_Five

Greenhorn does have a good point about African-American men in the South not being able to vote. And of course, half the white adult population was not allowed to vote either.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Cart before the horse.

Taft could have run on the 'Fatter Than Cleveland AND McKinley' Platform, with (VP) Impunity.

Of course, they would have had to reinforce the platform.

Draft saved Draft deleted