1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's approval rating sinks to new low

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree on both points. In 2004, I don't know that I "approved" of the job W. was doing, but I wasn't voting for Kerry, so it was a moot point.

Fair or unfair, if gas prices skyrocket, the president will be blamed...

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There also could be a lot of 3 a.m. phone calls between now and November which could effect the results. The drum beat coming from Israel could have a huge effect on outcome. The cynic in me says the Israel would be happy to see a Republican President who might be a stronger supporter than Obama has been.

3. Not that many voters think this way, but gas taxes are fixed costs. The tax usually isn't a percentage of the bill — it's a certain amount per gallon, regardless of how expensive a gallon is. Whether a gallon is $1 before tax or $3 before tax, New York is still adding $0.67 per gallon. In that sense, an <b>increase</b> in gas prices has nothing to do with taxes, unless your state raises the gas tax.

People, after a while, adjust to a baseline. So now people would be OK paying $2.50 a gallon. What bothers people are increases in price, not that they are paying price X. (Paying $3.75 wouldn't be a big deal if it's been like that for 5 years, but it is a big deal because we were paying $3.10 recently.) And the state gas taxes have nothing to do with that increase.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's interesting. I hadn't thought of that.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Once again, from the top: The Likud party is not Israel.

6. Boom_70

And you are not Uncle Rukus.

Last I looked the Prime Minister of Israel is Netanyahu-
    a member of the Likud Party.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It would be extremely risky for Netanyahu to do anything overt to try and influence the election, because what if it doesn't work? Then you have made a personal enemy of a President who is no longer eligible to run for re-election, and hence is less bound by domestic political concerns.
    Americans are by and large very friendly to Israel. But an attempt by a foreign government to influence our internal affairs might not go over real well, no matter how friendly the government.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He would know. That's exactly what happened his first time around as PM in the reverse, when Clinton sent his campaign people to Israel to help defeat him. They didn't and the relationship suffered.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Exactly. It was stupid of Clinton and it'd be stupid here, too. Nations have interests, not preferences.

10. Guy_Incognito

I'd be shocked if he got overtly involved.

11. Boom_70

Israel is very good at "covert".

12. Guy_Incognito

He's going to sit it out. Netanyahu has grown up a lot over the years. I actually find him very similar in both personality, strengths, weaknesses & career tack to Clinton.

Draft saved Draft deleted