1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's approval rating sinks to new low

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 12, 2012.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Fascinating that people are prepared to turn on the president over what are still the lowest gasoline prices in the first world.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As the poli sci research shows, it's not the actual price level, it's the direction prices are moving. If the price stays at its current level for a month, public unhappiness about it will go down. But when it's going up, people extrapolate a straight line to really higher prices.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Despite the fact that the prices go up every single spring.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Specially since some of the same people complaining, are likely those that demand we reduce our fossil fuel dependency and develop alternative energy choices.

As was articulated by Steve Chu, Obama's Energy Secretary high gas prices are a positive in that it will force people to conserve and find alternative clean energy sources.

5. Michael_ Gee

Although it's too slow for people to notice it, and therefore give themselves credit, Americans HAVE reduced their energy use dramatically over the last 40 years. Go on one of those retro TV program cable networks and check out the cars parked on the streets of '70s cop shows.
    There are, however, a lot more Americans than there were back then. But if we used as much oil as we did back then on a per capita basis, gas might $10 a gallon.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I understand that part. But it's the "lowest" that surprises me, not the "low."

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What surprises me is the precipitous drop from one month ago when Obama's approval rating was at 50%.

Perception wise this poll has more credibility than say a Fox / NY Post poll.

8. Michael_ Gee

Actually Boom, of the big media polls, the CBS/NYT one has historically been the most volatile, with higher highs and lower lows of ratings of public officials and election calls since way back when Bush the First was President. Doesn't mean it's wrong to find the Obama drop, just that it might have overshot the mark. I looked at the crosstabs and two things jumped out. 1. The approval rating was the same 41 percent for women and men. This seems unlikely given how many more women are Democrats than are men. 2. Obama still leads Romney in head to head. A President with a 41 percent approval rating should not be leading the opposition's leading candidate.
    IMO, the NBC/Wall St. Journal poll and the ABC/Washington Post poll seem more reliable than this one. And of course, the Post poll saw the same drop, just not as pronounced.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

As long as people are working to pay for the higher gas, and we're not at war, Obama is going to be fine and will kick the GOP's ass in November. It's pretty much as simple as that.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's kind of what I suspect, as well. Eventually, he is going to get a chance to frame the numbers to his benefit.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think if prices stay around $4 he'll be fine. If they're around $5 and the republicans are promising to drill everywhere they can, things could get interesting...

I'm not saying I blame Obama for the gas prices, but I think if people don't think he's doing everything he can to lower them, November could be, well, interesting...

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

- On opinion polls, I always take then with a grain of salt, because there's a number in there that disapprove of him because he fell short of their left wing expectations. I know I felt that way with Bush - disappointed, but that didn't mean I would vote for Kerry.

-On gas, as much as it's gone up, I'm still paying 3.50, because my state doesn't tax it like cigarettes. I'm always stunned that the states that do don't get more of the criticism for gas prices. That is to blame far more than the President, and I think we should be drilling at least some.

Draft saved Draft deleted