1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Wins Politico Straw Poll (Hillary 3rd Behind Edwards!)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Obama's red meat speech must have went down well with liberal activists... Senator Barack Obama scored a victory among progressive activists Wednesday, winning the Politico.com Straw Poll of attendees at the Take Back America Conference in Washington.

Obama received 29% of the 720 votes cast in the straw poll, narrowly beating out former North Carolina Senator John Edwards, and decisively knocking official front-runner Hillary Clinton into third place.

Edwards took 26% of the vote and Clinton 17%.

The poll establishes Obama and Edwards as a two-man top tier among the liberal segment of the Democratic base, said pollster Stan Greenberg, because they were also the most popular second choices for the nomination.

New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson came in fourth with 9% of the vote.

Al Gore came in fifth with 8% -- although he has not said he is running and was not included in the choices on the ballot. (Dennis Kuchinch got 5% and Gravel came in last with 1%)
    http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=191651

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Obama Wins Politico Straw Poll (Hillary 3rd!)

The virus has once again infiltrated SportsJournalists.com.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I guess he can start picking out furniture and making plans for January 20th, 2009?

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the breathless coverage of the NBA East race.

The winner earns the chance to get swept in the finals.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You still think a GOP candidate's going to win?

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Not so fast, Rudy & Hilly are tied now in most state polling...

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes.

The dilemma the Democrats face is that if you ask the general public if they would prefer to elect a (generic) Democrat as president, they'll say yes. This is a straight anti-Bush play, of course.

But if you give that Democrat a name, the bottom falls out. All of their candidates are fatally flawed in some fashion or other.

The hard left will sit out if H–––––Y is the candidate, for instance.

Obama? A figment of the media's imagination, as was McCain on the red side of the ledger.

Gore. Oh please please please PLEASE PLEEZ run again.

8. Interesting take. I think all of the Repubs have serious flaws.
    I think McCain's anger and support of the war does him in.
    Guliani has personal problems and I still can't seem this country voting for someone based on his being Mayor of NYC on 9/11 (it's as bad as Kerry's campaign being, "I served in Vietnam.").
    Romney won't win because of his religion. I made this argument before, but I believe too many of the fundamentalists who made up Bush's base would never vote for a Mormon, though I do think he is the strongest candidate for the right (wrong) wing.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

So please tell us, Henry. Who is this Republican candidate that is going to win?

10. Giggity

Giggity Member

I really really really hate to say it, but Fred Thompson is going to be the next president. See Reagan, Ronald and Schwarzenegger, Arnold if you think it's far-fetched. It's too stupid NOT to happen.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Well then this will be our next first lady:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

umm.....looks like Fred's a winner whether or not he wins the presidency.....

Draft saved Draft deleted