1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama vs. other great orators

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

;D :D :) :D

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It also seems that he's got a little off-the-cuff punch to him, responding in Iowa to criticism from the Australian Prime Minister.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21210989-1702,00.html

US presidential candidate Barack Obama has told Prime Minister John Howard to put up or shut up.
    Mr Obama, speaking at a packed press conference in Iowa today, said if MrHoward was concerned about the situation in Iraq he should send 20,000 Australian troops to the strife-torn nation.

The Illinois senator added that if Mr Howard did not send the troops, then the prime minister's attack on the Democrat presidential hopeful's Iraq policy was "empty rhetoric''.

"I would also note that we have close to 140,000 troops on the ground now and my understanding is that Mr Howard has deployed 1400,''Mr Obama, who next year could become the first African American to be elected US president, said.

"So, if he's ginned up to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest he calls up another 20,000 Australians and sends them up to Iraq.

"Otherwise, it's just a bunch of empty rhetoric.''

Mr Howard sparked the war of words yesterday when he took the extraordinary step of declaring that he hoped Mr Obama did not become president of the US, and that his election would be disastrous for the war on terrorism.

Mr Howard said Mr Obama's plan to pull America's combat brigades out of Iraq by March 31, 2008, was a strategy that would "destabilise and destroy Iraq, and create chaos and a victory for the terrorists''.

"If I were running al-Qaeda in Iraq, I would put a circle around March 2008 and be praying as many times as possible for a victory, not only for Obama but also for the Democrats,'' Mr Howard said.

Mr Howard's comments came a day after Mr Obama officially launched his US presidential campaign and the clash quickly became one of the top news stories in the US.

3. Clinton was that most dangerous of orators -- a guy who can't write who thinks he can.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The lines still seem read to me.

Reagan was an all-time great.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

absolutely.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Clinton was not a great orator, he was a charasmatic speaker. His substance was very unmemorable, but you felt like it was by the force of his personality. Unfortunately, the best orators now are fringe nuts, like Sharpton, Buchanan & Keyes. I haven't seen enough of Obama to know where he fits in.

Draft saved Draft deleted