1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama vs. other great orators

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pringle, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Who are some of the great ones?

Martin Luther King?

Bill Clinton?

Winston Churchill?

Does Obama have the potential to join the greats some day? He certainly seems like it.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Obama is quite articulate. [ducking]

3. He ain't no Demosthenes.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention William Jennings Bryan, who lost three times as the Democratic candidate for president. Though some scholars suggest that the Cowardly Lion in "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" was based on him.

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Well, let us not forget former major league outfielder Orator Shaffer, who, incidentally, had exactly 1,000 career hits.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Was FDR one? Or was he more of the folksy, relate-to-everyman school of GWB?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, both.

He was a great Everyman during the Depression, and he was a great orator during WWII.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

And let's not forget Bluto Blutarsky

D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
    Bluto: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
    Otter: Germans?
    Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
    Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...
    [thinks hard]
    Bluto: the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go!
    [runs out, alone; then returns]
    Bluto: What the fuck happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my ass from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, dead! Niedermeyer...
    Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
    Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.
    D-Day: Let's do it.
    Bluto: LET'S DO IT!

9. There ought to be separate categories for people who write their own stuff and people who are good at reading good speeches (Reagan, JFK).

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Fool me once........ :D :D

12. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Won't be fooled again? Top 10 moments.

Draft saved Draft deleted