1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama urges black men to be responsible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 15, 2008.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Mizzou, you can no more get blood from a stone than you can get shame from a troll.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

For what?

Asking or government to enforce laws they put on the books?

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That you truly believe the laws aren't toothless shows you're woefully ignorant on this subject. That you have an issue with trying to improve these laws in addition to enforcing them shows something else about your character that I'd rather not consider.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I never thought I'd see the day when deadbeat dads were being defended.

5. zagoshe

This is typical liberalism bullshit and it is demagoging of the worst kind.

Nobody is against single mothers, nobody is arguing that deadbeat dads are a problem.

I'm simply saying if these two idiots wanted to do something to help single mothers -- just enfore the laws we already have on the books.

The laws are strong and they are good.

And Alley -- the idea that there is some "incentive" to remain a college student - at a cost of what $40,000 K per year -- without getting any income -- to get out of paying your 300 or 400 per month for child support is so beyond ridiculous it is just silly to even address.

6. zagoshe

Fuck off.

I have not defended deadbeat dads asshole.

Not once.

Don't put words in my mouth.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're chastizing two of our finest senators for introducing bills that would help single moms collect child support from deadbeat dads.

How do you sleep at night?

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Zag, you have never met a true deadbeat dad. There are guys out there who work twice as hard at avoiding their child support obligations than it would take to simply pay them. Being a permanent student is definitely not out of the question.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

All because you say so, huh?

Try telling that to the grown kid who is stiffing my relative, six years after the fact.

10. zagoshe

OK skippy.

You are such an arrogant prick sometimes.

And you don't know jackshit about me or my dealings with child support.

The laws are on the books. They are written strong, they have teeth -- they just need to be enforced by judges, who continually feel sorry for these deadbeat dads and give them extensions and allow them to do all kinds of other BS to keep from having to ever pay up.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Exactly.

Zag, you try to defend your position by talking about income levels and the inability of some fathers to survive AND the fully alloted child support. That's an issue I understand and can even have some sympathy with.

But those people aren't deadbeat dads. Deadbeat dads are the ones who refuse to help at all, through a lack of responsibility. And the reason why child support laws aren't enforced on them is because of the very same income laws/loopholes intended to protect legitimate dads. The deadbeat dads hide behind those laws.

It's becoming more and more clear to me that these arguments are simply concepts to you and that you have no horse in the race. You simply are incorrect in some many extents.

Oh, and one other note on this...

Since I got full custody of Little Man, I stopped having to pay child support. But the cost of fully raising a child actually exceeds what I was paying in support. Color me happy to spend that money, though. He's worth it.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If you have actual experience and said experience is leading you to the above sentiment, then clearly the laws in your state are F'd up beyond belief. Because, well, you simply don't have a clue.

And nice way to hurl the insult.

Draft saved Draft deleted