1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama urges black men to be responsible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bra-freaking-vo.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Look at the reasons as to why these things persist. I don't have the answers, but we can seek the William Wilson's and the Mary Patillo's of the world who point out the causes which lead to these problems and address them accordingly.

I'm not patting someone on the back for things I've already known for years, myself being raised by a deadbeat dad who spent most of his time in Africa. It's tiring seeing people being celebrated for voicing the obvious but not having a plan tied to it.

I know Barack wants to make some voters comfortable making those statements in his Sister Souljah moment. But I'm disappointed in the absence of speaking on a plan to attack these issues regarding fatherhood UNIQUE to African Americans which date back from the time they were brought here in chains.

3. Grimace

Grimace Guest

He actually did offer answers. The story linked just doesn't get to that part.

From the NY Times story:

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

That was a surface level way of addressing the problem.

Child support hasn't stopped the problem of dead beat dads from continuing in the African American community.

My point is...where is the plan? We're five years into saying Cosby is right.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

More child support and less domestic violence are terrific and noble goals. Lord knows we have far too little of one and far too much of the other.

But the problem is that we are raising a generation of boys -- predominantly, but not exclusively, African-Americans -- who have no positive male role models in their lives. Enforcing child support and making sure Daddy doesn't beat up Mommy when she asks for child support doesn't solve this problem. The government won't be able to fix this problem. This is a problem best adressed by persuasion through the bully pulpit. Kudos to Bill Cosby, Senator Obama and anyone else who is willing to use their public position to tell men that this problem has to stop.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"I take care of my kids..."

"What do you want? A cookie?!"

- Chris Rock

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

It's reminiscent to Nancy Reagan's "Just say no" campaign.

and we know how effective that message was during the 80's.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I asked Big Chee for ideas not to show him up but to illustrate a point. How can you really legislate fathers being more involved in their children's lives? You can't. But you can certainly try to be an example and give voice to a topic that's critically important.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Those are two entirely different situations. There were things that COULD have been done and WERE done. Educational programs were a start.

Not saying educational programs wouldn't work for dads (or potential dads), but I'm not sure I'd expect the government to make dads live up to their expectations.

And Mizzou...screw Chris Rock. I'm proud that I take very good care of my son because it sets an example for him of how he should treat his children years down the road. Just like that example was set for me by my dad.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's it -- exactly what we need - more government intervention, more government services, more government programs to solve this problem.....

Here is a novel idea -- instead of spending more money for more failed programs -- WHY NOT JUST ENFORCE THE FUCKING CHILD SUPPORT LAWS THAT ARE ON THE BOOKS AND STOP DEMAGOGING ABOUT THE SUBJECT.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yeah, that's it -- exactly what we need - more government intervention, more government services, more government programs to solve this problem.....

Here is a novel idea -- instead of spending more money for more failed programs -- WHY NOT JUST ENFORCE THE FUCKING CHILD SUPPORT LAWS THAT ARE ON THE BOOKS AND STOP DEMAGOGING ABOUT THE SUBJECT.
    [/quote]

Don't know if you've ever paid child support, but the laws on the books, especially as they vary from state to state, are freaking ridiculous. And the enforcement of those laws are weak enough as it is.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

[/quote]

How can you possibly have a problem with them making it tougher on deadbeat dads?

I'm sure the single moms out there would tell you to fuck off.

Draft saved Draft deleted