1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama urges black men to be responsible

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Cosby comes across as condescending as hell when he does it, especially since he has a long history of infidelity.

I thought Obama handled it pretty well.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

And Obama said it without saying Filth Farn Filth.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There can, but when we treat a largely secondary point as the key one, the real message gets lost. Even among journalists.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The first assumption that is wrong here is that Bill Cosby is some kind of pioneer in the field of black people taking black people to task for their perceived shortcomings. The second is that he received criticism for this specific action.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4628960

5. Mizzougrad96

Eddie Murphy's Cosby rant was on Raw.

One of the best impressions, funniest things I have ever seen. The only problem with it now is the Ennis Cosby references, which is sad to see now.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Chipper Jones, Larry Bird and Steve Garvey all agree that it is the black men in this world who need to be better fathers.....

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Did you even read my earlier post where I said men of all races need to better step up to the plate? Because based on your foolish statement, you apparently DIDN'T read it.

8. Mizzougrad96

Well, CNN had the stat that 50 percent of African-American kids are raised only by their mothers. That is a troubling statistic.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

No doubt. But men of all races tend to be much less involved than they should be. And to me, that's a problem regardless of skin color.

10. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I get tired of these Obama/cosby agenda-less talk on repeating the obvious.

I'm not patting anyone on the back for telling me something I already know. The familiar ring to this rhetoric is the absence of finding ways to tackle the issue.

We're almost 5 years into the "Cosby is right!!" movement, and nothing has come about it other than people nodding their heads in agreement.

Way to go Barack.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not that I disagree with you, but what exactly are we supposed to do? How do we make fathers take more responsibility with their children, beyond just child support (which is an issue of its own)?

12. Mizzougrad96

Agree completely.

Draft saved Draft deleted