1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama to sponsor Sprint Cup car?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And because it's Pocono, I'm sure he's going to spend some more time in Pennsylvania with the white, rural voters he missed out on during the primary. It's essentially a national ad, without having to pay any networks for air time.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Only a couple. ;)

In all honesty, I don't think it's a particularly good idea. I'm just trying to offer up the logical rationale. And, as I said, I don't see how it costs him votes, and he's got money to burn, so?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure sponsoring a Toyota won't hack off anybody in Michigan.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Obama just guaranteed that he is the story of Pocono. Pennsylvania media, for one, are going to be talking about Obama all weekend. Brilliant move, too, having donors be able to get their names on the car. And so what if he's sponsoring a backmarker? Obama (or McCain, for that matter) isn't going to get a top team because it doesn't need the sponsorship money. Maybe the shock is that with so many NASCAR teams starting to hurt for sponsorship, that somebody didn't ask Obama to throw out money for a rest-of-the-season ride. Or maybe somebody has.

Even better for Obama would be if the Frances get their Republican knickers in a twist and decree no political ads on cars, instantly making Obama a much bigger (and more dangerous for the Frances) version of Redneckjunk.com.

Next week: we learn Obama has become title sponsor for a golf tournament.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think he's doing it for the same reasons he went and spoke to evangelical leaders.

He doesn't have to convince NASCAR fans to vote for him.

All he has to do is convince them not to vote against him.

There is a big difference. A lot of red state conservatives don't like John McCain. For some of them, the only thing that would make them vote FOR McCain is if they hated the person running against him. Maybe NASCAR fans will snicker and laugh at this move, and be annoyed that he sponsored a Toyota, but they might also feel like he's not quite as foreign as Kerry was.

Whatever happens, it's a better play than "Who among us doesn't love NASCAR?" although, in retrospect, that was simply a falsehood spread by Maureen Dowd, one of the worst journalists in the country.

http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh100204.shtml

6. dixiehack

Is he going to bring back Shawna Robinson to drive in order to pander to Hillary's base?

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So does NASCAR rig the qualifying to make sure Schrader gets in the field?

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I think NASCAR is willing to go as far as instructing their employees to utter epithets only in private that weekend.

9. dixiehack

How, by shooting two dozen other drivers? You may as well try and rig it so a Vega wins a demolition derby.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In related news, John McCain will be the MC at Jay-Z's next concert.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

please. A few adjustments to the car couldn't slip through inspection?

12. dixiehack

Like what, a second motor? And if anything, NASCAR's brain trust would want things rigged so the Obama-mobile doesn't make the race.

Draft saved Draft deleted