1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama to sponsor Sprint Cup car?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm curious as to what the NASCAR aficionados around here think of this:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/tom_bowles/07/11/obama/index.html

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, if I'm Barack...I'm putting my money on a car that is guaranteed a spot. Or at least might have a shot of being on the lead lap.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

We're getting word that John McCain is announcing his own car sponsorship:

[​IMG]

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That is outstanding.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't know, the fact that stories like this would crop up now -- not to mention race week at Pocono -- seems like that would be enough to generate talk among NASCAR fans. The car doesn't need to qualify for Obama to get what he wants from this. If it does happen to qualify, that's gravy.

6. imjustagirl

Oz, let me just say this:

A black man putting his name on a Toyota is not going to endear him to the old guard of NASCAR fans.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I never said anything about Obama endearing him to the old guard of NASCAR fans. I did say this would get NASCAR fans to talk about his sponsored car, though.

And, oh yeah, generate national stories on news and sports wires, appear on all SC editions, etc.

8. imjustagirl

I'm saying not all publicity is good publicity. By the time this race runs, the stories will have dried up. And all he'll have is Schrader qualifying.

9. Grimace

Grimace Guest

According to the story, the logo on the car will say, "Obama '08: Hey NASCAR Fans, we're so confident that we bought this advertising just to tell you we don't need your votes."

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It seems pretty idiotic to me.

11. imjustagirl

Now THAT'S funny.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

In related news, McCain is taking out advertising in Slam! magazine.

Draft saved Draft deleted