1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama To Rebuild U.S. Fastener Industry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Evelle: You know how to put these things on?
    Grocer: Well, around the butt and up over the groin area.
    Evelle: I know WHERE they go, old timer. I just want to know if I need pins or fasteners.
    Grocer: Well, no, they got them tape-ettes already on there. It's self-contained and fairly explanatory.
    ---Raising Arizona (1987)

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Not to mention, the office supply depicted in that photograph is called a binder clip, not a paper clip.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Seriously? I've had to read a few of the comments to see if they're for real. They might think the bill is important, but I doubt they give 2 shits about its presentation. What a pathetic thread. It started out amusing, but like every other politics thread here a couple of morons took it off the rails. A fucking paper clip? This is what we're talking about regarding the jobs bill?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Don't worry, they'll piss and shit about everything else in it, too.

The last thing in the world they want is one American job created between now and Nov. 2012.

5. J Staley

J Staley Member

If there is somebody that should be upset by all this, it's Stephen Colbert. It's one thing to compete against other comedians, but to have to compete for laughs against the very entity you're trying to lampoon has got to be frustrating.

Bless YF and the others who are trying to turn this stupidity into an intelligent discussion. I admire your dedication.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Hatred of the president is so insanely strong in Right-wing Real America, that if if he wins re-election next year there might be several "Scanners"-like moments on Fox News.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just indulge me for a minute.

They're getting ready for the big announcement and they know the President is going to want a copy of th actual bill to hold up as a prop, right?

So, somebody -- maybe an intern, I don't know -- is preparing the document. He/she has to show it to someone first before giving it to the President, right?

So, some kid hands this "clip job" to a higher up -- maybe David Plouffe or some top aide from the press office. And this person says, what? "Good job. Go hand it to the President."

If you're the President, don't you say, "what the fuck is this," when they hand it to you.

Let me tell you something, when I worked for Rudy, his press office had some issues, but no way does he walk out with something like this.

Someone dropped the ball. The fact that this got to the President's hands in that condition is a fuck up.

I just don't get why or how it happened. The only thing I can come up with is that it was a real rush job.

Which means that while we should pass his bill "right away", they were probably still writing it until 5 minutes before he walked to the podium.

That's also a fuck up.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

YF -- sometimes a paper clip is just a paper clip.

9. YankeeFan

But it's not. It really isn't.

I worked on these kind of events. You would never hand a document like that to Rudy Giuliani or Barack Obama.

It just wouldn't happen, but it did. Why? Seriously, why?

It can only be that they weren't done until minutes before. There's no other explanation that makes sense.

Seriously, I would not be surprised if the rest of the pages were blank, and this was just a "stunt" bill.

I'd love to see how thick the actual bill is to see if it's the same size as the one in his hand.

Sorry, but it's laughable. It's amateur hour.

He told Congress last Thursday (which was one extra day already) to pass his bill "right away". But there was no bill, just an outline.

We were laughed at by folks here explaining that the White House doesn't write bills. We didn't understand the legislative process.

Well, they were working on a bill -- right up until the last minute apparently.

It's a fucking joke.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This sounds like something AttackWatch.com would like to take on.

11. YankeeFan

LOL. Probably true.

12. J Staley

J Staley Member

So because the White House used a binder clip, Obama and Co. must have threw their jobs bill together hastily?

Colbert would be jealous.

So if the jobs bill had been nattily bound, then it would have meant the ideas inside were given more than adequate contemplation?

Do I have that right?

Draft saved Draft deleted