1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama skips major papers: No NYT, WaPo, WSJ, USA Today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Mar 24, 2009.

1. gridiron

gridiron Member

As Michael Gee said on the previous page, how can anyone be upset that he took questions from the Washington Times and FOX but didn't solicit questions from NYT, Washington Post and others? That's laughable. If they're so in the tank for him, seems like taking their questions would have been taking the easy way out. This is a non-issue, other than a few in the press corps having their feelings hurt.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He got to Univision, I don't see what the problem is.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, because I'm the one who made it political

And yes, back on topic...

Obama called on all the major networks, but none of the major newspapers. I wonder if he felt like he couldn't just leave one or two out.

The questions to Stars & Stripes, Univision, Ebony, and hell, even the Washington Times were clearly attempts to reach specific audiences.

It wasn't about letting different people ask questions, it was about letting specific people ask questions. It was political. (Not saying it like it's a bad thing.)

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You do understand how a press conference works, right? You do realize that just because he didn't take a question from the Washington Post, the Washington Post reporter present still is able to use his answers? And that while a Stars & Stripes reporter might be more inclined to ask a question about a military issue, that doesn't mean Obama's going to give an answer that nobody but Stars & Stripes would want to write about?

Of course it's political, and of course there are political undertones to any decision a president makes. But, believe it or not, he's actually a politician. And it's a political press conference. So what exactly do people expect, and what's the point of the criticism here?

5. Jay Stone

Jay Stone New Member

My sentiment exactly. This all smacks of the media community engaging in protracted navel gazing. And we're not talking about Megan Fox's navel.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We were trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted