1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama skips major papers: No NYT, WaPo, WSJ, USA Today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Mar 24, 2009.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not trying to be political here, but as newspaper folk, what do you think of Obama's decision and what, if anything, does it say about the future of newspapers?

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I don't think it matters. I'm sure there is a lengthy process for asking the president questions, and he only answered 13, so some got left out this time. Not a big deal, IMHO.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

No Jet? (ducks)

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Why would they play a Wings song?

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

From a journalism perspective, I think it's a good thing -- opening up the public discourse to a wider variety of voices. That's commendable, even if that wasn't his intention (and I doubt it was. Probably just mix-and-match in terms of which questions to answer this time around.)

There will be more press conferences, and I'd hardly say this is a trend when it's only his second presser and he didn't do it that way the first time around. It's like saying "first annual" -- well, it's only "annual" if it happens every time. So, IMO, Politico is jumping the gun, big-time, in writing a "trend" story on something that happened ... once. Very poor reporting on their part.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Politico isn't jumping the gun unless Sheperd Smith of Fox News is also, since he talked about it two minutes after the press conference ended.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'll mate you right now for that reference.

(and much later, too)

8. dooley_womack1

Not that there's anything wrong with that, my salamander.

9. dooley_womack1

Actually, I saw a story on Yahoo this morning about Obama (and other recent presidents) cherry-picking media to give special access to. Dubya giving an interview to Field and Stream stood out.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Obama and his stifling arrogance can go fuck himself.

All those papers helped greased the skids for his election.

11. As long as he's not solely selecting outlets that are obviously soft on him, he's doing nothing wrong, in my opinion. (And from a viewer's perspective, the diversity makes the thing more interesting, I think. Though that's not important.)

12. dooley_womack1

Cowbell has flipped! Suck it, Democrats!

;D

Draft saved Draft deleted