1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama serves notice: He won't let the Republicans swift-boat him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 16, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

If anyone saw his comments in South Dakota just a few minutes ago, it's clear Obama is not going to sit back and whine about being treated unfairly like Kerry did.

He eviscerated Bush for going overseas and pulling that stunt and passionately attacked Bush and McCain, explaining why their policies have not made us safer from terrorists, why their policies have strengthened al Qaeda, Hamas and Hezbollah.

I'm very encouraged by Obama's performance today.

This guy is the real deal. The most important thing he's showing right now is that he understands how the opponent is going to attack him, something Democrats have either been woefully unprepared for or unwilling to address. He also understands how to fight back.

2. In other words, you can't question Obama about anything.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yes, in other words that have a completely different meaning.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Or, you can question him about it, and he'll come right out and fire back, something the last Democratic candidate was reticent to do.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Obama's tactics:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm obviously not a fan of Obama's politics and policies but I do think if he can continue to hammer McCain over the head with Bush's foreign policy gaffe's he is going to win big.

And every time someone wants to bring up Jeremiah Wright, Obama needs to ignore it and continue to hammer on this "Eight years of a GOP president have yielded this: A terrible economy, an expensive war that has no end, foreclosures at an all-time high and a new and terribly expsensive, over-reaching arm of the executive branch which has not made America safer....."

That's all he has to do to stay on message -- today was a good start.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm still a tad cynical and need to be convinced

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You're not Charles P. Pierce are you?

9. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

People can by cynical about Obama; that's fine. I'm not one of the maniacs who is fainting in the aisles at a rally.

But I'm not cynical about his ability to run a winning campaign. He dismantled the Clinton machine -- the most powerful Democratic name in 40 years -- by running a smarter, more efficient, better organized campaign. And now that he's switching into general election mode, he's showing yet again that he knows what he's doing.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Convinced yet, Boom?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think a win by Obama in November would also do this -- put a big, giant fork in one of the GOP's most trusted and loyal tactics for winning elections -- playing to the fears of the blatant or even the latent racism of older white Americans.....

12. Damn straight.
    He's also got to have confidence that the audience won't be there for this kind of stuff this time around.

Draft saved Draft deleted