1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama:Secret doubts about the job?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sheesh, I'm no Obama-phile, but I think anybody in that office would have his/her doubts. Supposedly during the Cuban missile crisis JFK said to Goldwater, "So you want this f***ing job, huh?" I have no problems with anybody in that job who says that there are times when he/she would just as soon not have it.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Granted, I'm not the biggest fan of the guy, but this is a pretty stupid thing to say and I'm pretty surprised he would say something so stupid if he's planning on running for a second term, which I'm assuming he is.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, but docquant, we must not have nuance. A simple statement must be a rending crisis of self-faith

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree that just about anyone would feel that way, especially in these times, but it's one thing to say it privately and another to say it on the Today Show.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I just got an email from the Obama campaign announcing that they're hiring for campaign central in Chicago, so he's running. Even in that interview posted, he's hardly saying he's ready to quit. Nonstory.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Except as an opportunity for another wingnut circle jerk. Hike up your trousers.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In other words, it's perfectly natural to feel that way.

But you had better not be honest and say it, lest it get repeated eleventy billion times and hurt you in the general election.

Is that really how far we've suck? Can we be any more shallow without scraping the bottom?

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Some people say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

It's not an LBJ.

It's a Sherman.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Especially seeing how two-term presidents appear at the beginning of their term and at the end, you can't blame Obama, or any president, from having regrets sometimes. It's the highest-pressured job in the world.

Having said that, it was pretty foolish for Obama to give the GOP a ready-made catchphrase to use for the election.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every single President of the United States (except maybe Reagan, who had an illness to deal with), has made some comment as to the fact the job sucks. John Adams called it "A splendid misery." Bill Clinton, who LOOOVED being President, called the White House "the crown jewel of the Federal corrections system."
    Face it. Anyone who would hold that much power without ambivalence about its impact on him and others would be a flat-out sociopath and a danger to humanity in general.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A Coolidge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.