1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama, schools ponder best course on student fare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

We didn't have candy or soda sold in our school district but the crap the school board passed off as lunch sure hell wasn't healthy.

Anyone else getting that commercial with the lady railing about taxes on sodas? During the 6-8pm timeslot I will see it at least five times. Annoying.

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

It's not the schools responsibility to teach good nutrition habits. It's the parents job. It's not hard. I give my kids fruits and healthy snacks after school. Cut up some apples, pick some grapes, put out a bowl of blueberries. My kids eat those up as easily as chips and candy.
    Plus I have my kids involved in sports. I don't care what it is. My oldest decided he wanted to play golf this year instead of soccer. Fine, as long as he's outside, walking the course, practicing on the range, getting some sort of physical exercise, I'm OK with it.
    Healthy food and exercise, it's not a tough combination. Parents need to set good examples and set the rules.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

uh yeah it is, among other things.

I knew how to read and do basic arithmetic before I even went to kindergarten. Were the schools supposed to teach me anything else?

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

What pisses me off is all these little punks wanting candy and soda because they like that kind of stuff. Grow the fuck up and eat a soy burger. Sacrifice like the rest of us, assholes!

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Starman, you're the fricking exception, a genius in preschool. The rest of us had to learn from our teachers how calculate more complicated math problems than 1+1 and learn how to read and comprehend more complicated books than those written by Dr. Seuss.
    My point is that it shouldn't up to the schools to teach kids how to eat right. Teachers have enough to do already. I know because I have spent the past three years subbing in elementary and high schools and working on my teaching credential.
    Good eating and nutritional habits should start at home. As a parent, I could easily give my kids unhealthy snacks every day. Instead, I choose to give them fruits and cheese and crackers. Orange juice and milk instead of sodas. Make them play sports. Those are all conscious decisions other parents do not make.
    It's not that hard to teach your kids how to eat right and stay healthy.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's also impossible to keep an eye on them between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. That's when the school has responsibility for their behavior. Teaching a healthy lifestyle -- not really actually teaching it even, just preventing others from coming in and offering the garbage -- isn't a whole lot to ask. And with obesity and other health statistics being what they are, we're headed to a major crisis.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The narrowmindedness of people who think that because they do something, everyone else does too, never ceases to amaze. We're all damn proud of you, rpm, that you do right by your kids. But you don't seem able to understand that other people don't, and that some people feel that a 6-year-old shouldn't be destined to teenage Type 2 diabetes because his parents (or more often, parent) are too stupid to teach him proper eating habits.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

100% of people who eat a healthy diet end up dead. Think about it. :eek:

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There is that. They may live longer, but that just means they have to eat even more rabbit food.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Bottom line: All of this complaining about school lunch nutrition and the availability of snack machines in schools is pure hypocrisy when said schools are gutting P.E. programs because that's time away from getting students to pass a standardized test.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

A lot of legislatures are looking at, and sometimes passing, laws that require schools teach PE every day. At least over here.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

If the P.E. classes are anything like they were back in my day (Jesus, that makes me sound old), they won't be doing much for kids' health. I can hardly remember a handful of days where P.E. didn't involve dressing out and bullshitting for 10 minutes, then standing around for 10 more waiting for the teacher, running through some half-assed attempts at exercise, then playing a haphazard "game" of kickball for 10 minutes, then changing back into our school garb before heading back to regular school.

Draft saved Draft deleted