1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama, schools ponder best course on student fare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 9, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In my district, we don't even serve white bread anymore. It's whole wheat for the kids.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

From what I have seen of school lunch and especially breakfast menus, it's comical what they consider healthy food.

They encourage kids to eat breakfast at school and they get a cinnamon roll and chocolate milk.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Listening to SportsJournalists.com folks lecturing about nutrition is like going to Drip for Valentine's Day gift advice.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're getting the special with the cherry on top, Oggs.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'm remembering back nearly 20 years, but I think the drink/snack machines at my high school were turned off until after lunch. Class got in the way of anyone getting to the machines until after school. Instead of banning such machines (which are needed for those who stay on campus for after-school activities), why not stock vending machines with both healthy and sugar-based snacks, but discount the healthy ones. I was tight enough that I would've traded a Sun-Drop for a bottle of water, if it meant I could save a quarter. Same with snacks.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Screw that. Put them outside across the street from the school where we used to smoke.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Our candy machines never made any money....there was a well-known "secret" as to how to rig the machines for cash and candy.

Obama: The gift that keeps on taking. Stop the cash flow! The government will decide what you eat!

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

That's true if you actually live at school. (Groundskeeper Wille?)

But, I'm guessing the majority of kids go home when the final bell rings.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nah. The welfare moms park their kids in public screwals from free before-school day-care to after-school-sleep-in-the-locker-room care.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You should be able to bring up your daughter the right way and educate her to make her own wise decisions rather than making a big scary/creepy ceremony out of it. Now THAT'S perverted.

Draft saved Draft deleted