1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama, schools ponder best course on student fare

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 9, 2010.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sorry if it's a d_b. They managed to tie it to sports with this portion:

Orange County High School has vending machines with Pepsi, Mountain Dew and Dr Pepper, but even more popular among students is a candy cart wheeled into the school’s central hallway three times a day by Betty Almond, a school secretary.

The cart is laden with Pop-Tarts, Skittles and Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, and Mrs. Almond and helpers barely keep up with demand from students on their way to class. Sales are between $400 and $500 a week, which Mrs. Almond uses to buy uniforms and equipment for school sports teams. Her most recent project was to outfit the wrestling team, on which her grandson competes.

“The football team wants me to buy them a seven-man sled, but with this new legislation, they’ll never get it,” she said sadly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/08/health/nutrition/08junk.html?pagewanted=2

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Where I teach, such fundraisers during the school day are banned.

There are soda machines, but they are turned off & unplugged during the school day (and open afterwards). The only active ones are in the teacher's lounge, and students have been known to sneak in and help themselves at times.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

What's the big fucking deal? Let the kids have some snacks. Christ, enough of the coddling already. Wah, some kids are fat. Big F-N deal. They're going to be fat with or without the 1 p.m. Pepsi, douches.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

We had a scoop of mashed potatoes with gravy as our sinful snack.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I remember when I went to school some kids would would buy a bunch of candy from the discount store and then sell it well above cost out of their locker. They cleaned up.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

It's bullshit that everyone gets punished because some little fat kid can't walk 23 feet without needing a cupcake. Fuck that shit man, fuck it.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Little Donald Trump was as big an asshole as grown up Donald Trump

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You sound like, and you're liberally paraphrasing, my 12-year-old son, who rails against his school system's healthy food policy. Actually, it's something that came to pass in Illinois as a statewide policy thanks to Blago, which means it's a horrible idea. Blago could drop by and give me $1 million, and it's a horrible idea, because it's Blago.

The healthy food policies don't make a lot of sense. Kids can't get popcorn, for example. But my first-grader, the only kid of mine who can stand the school's hot lunch, can have hot dogs and pizza as entrees.

9. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Hey, that's a lot of steps! The kid has to re-fuel, you know.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Does it make me a bad person that I laughed like hell at that?

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, schools are finding ways to cut PE & sports programs while we all kvetch about obesity.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

School isn't a fucking food court.

They can't stop kids from eating this crap but they sure as hell shouldn't be selling it

Draft saved Draft deleted