1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama resigns from his church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, May 31, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I'm supporting Obama completely, but I think this is a little late.

Should've bounced months ago...

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This country'd be a helluva lot better off if we would leave God in church where he belongs and out of the halls of government. None of this crap matters. It has no bearing on the guy's taxation policies, energy policies, health care policies, economic policies...you know, the shit that actually MATTERS in a candidate.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

You like the fact he stuck with Wright? Wow.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Until he screwed up the second time, yeah. Showed forgiveness (you know, Christian values, which the GOP loves to talk about) and a willingness to work through a difference of opinion, which he's talked about frequently in reaching across the aisle in D.C.

Had he dumped Wright on the spot, maybe it looks cold, like he's a typical politician crunching exit poll numbers to see which is the more popular decision to help him earn delegates and the nomination. He didn't do that, and then he delivered "A More Perfect Union," in which a politician finally talked to Americans about race as if we were adults.

He made the best a tough situation and showed a lot of character, staying on his message.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'll second that, spup. When my mom remarried when I was a teenager, we went to my ex-stepdad's church. After a while, my mom was tired of some of the bickering and chicanery from the congregation and once she got a job offer to transfer to another town after her divorce from stepdad, she took it. Some folks were jealous of her for a multitude of reasons: my sister and me never got into trouble, we lived in a good neighborhood, and she had no skeletons in the closet except a messy divorce from my old man.

Coming from a black church background, it's not unusual for members not to leave a church, even if their pastor is saying some outlandish stuff from the pulpit. It's considered heresy to disagree with the preacher in the black church because the mindset is that "he can't do no wrong", which is ridiculous anyway. But the main point is that if you like being there because of the fellow churchgoers, you can pay no mind to what comes out of the minister's mouth, because you know what you believe in, without being preached to.

Folks would leave the church for a lot of petty reasons such as a falling out with a fellow member, petty jealousness at someone's status, not getting preferential treatment from the pastor, or if the pastor decides to leave and start another church.

BYM, I agree that we need to go back to separation of church and state, but the religious factor isn't going away. The issue of religion was a big deal in '60 with Nixon and Kennedy, and whether or not Kennedy's Catholic background was going to be a pissing match. It may not have no bearings with a guy's policies, but for as many religious zealots on both sides, there's no way that they are going to be persuaded to leave religion at the door.

By the way, this is a dumb question, but how do you "resign" from the church? Where I'm from, you don't "resign", you quit that particular church and go searching for another one.

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I should have been more clear, my parents are still members of that church. Things have calmed down now, but they were certainly ugly back then.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I find all this church stuff amusing, since Obama doesn't strike me as particularly religious anyway.

I think it's pretty obvious that he joined Trinity because, well, that's what you do in Chicago if you're young and black and trying to be well-connected in the community. People want to paint it as some small radical church, but it's a huge, rather mainstream black church with a lot of influence.

I don't blame Obama for cutting ties. All you had to do was watch Fox sometime in the last few days leading the newscast with this Father Pfleiger bullshit that I don't think anybody in the mainstream took seriously at all. If a semi-legitimate, major news organization is going to pull video clips and lead the news with any controversial statement coming out of the church, it's better off to just say goodbye.

Hopefully this whole experience with churches this year, whether it's Hagee, Parsley, Wright or Pfleiger, shows that this stuff has no business in politics.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

But unfortunately in this YouTube/Reality TV era, most people don't care about that stuff. They care more about who they can have a beer with, who wears a flag pin on his uniform lapel than actual policies and who can keep them safe from the boogeyman. How else do you think Bush won two elections?

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

He is a Muslim, that's why he left the church, he couldn't pretend anymore. (Or at least that's how I'm predicting the right-wing nutjobs will spin this)

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree, unfortunantly, you have a sizable contingent of one our our country's political parties who wants to make people conform to their religion.

They want to tell women what to do if they get pregnant. They want us to pray to their God in schools. They want to tell us, as grown adults, who we can and cannot marry. Heck, if it were up to them, and for a lot of years it did, they would tell us, as legal adults, who we can and cannot have sex with.

Religion, and how it affects our daily lives, IS a political issue. It shouldn't be. But it is.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

As an Obama supporter, what I liked was the timing of the news. Smart.

Bad sign for John McCain.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Regardless of the message from the pulpit, Obama and his family likely made a lot of deep, personal friendships with other people in the pews there. Having to resign from the church (for any reason), will hurt those relationships and that's a shame.

Draft saved Draft deleted