1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama open to "Newspaper Revitalization Act"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PatrickCarney, Sep 21, 2009.

1. PatrickCarney

PatrickCarney New Member

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/59523-obama-open-to-newspaper-bailout-bill

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

This is a joke right?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I couldn't see chains like Gannett and such excited about the prospect of becoming non-profits.

Though, they are doing a pretty good job of making papers non-profits all by themselves.

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

True that ACE

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's like the auto bailout...you can pump in cash and force a new business structure, maybe even make the product considerably better, but changing consumer culture is something else entirely. A lot of people swore off American cars and aren't coming back. A lot of people got out of the newspaper habit and aren't coming back.

7. And as always, the comments following the story are well thought out and constructive.

8. partain

partain Member

Readers aren't walking through that door!

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Great line. I almost puked when I saw the word Gannett all over the local USA Today stand. I sometimes forget Gannett owns that paper and hated to be reminded of it.

I can't believe you guys say readers "aren't walking through that door." OK that means you think the actual print portion of the paper is dead. If you think that, many higher ups do as well. Then why haven't all papers scrapped the print edition? They can cut staffs 50 percent or more. What are they waiting for?? Seriously. If the print portion of the paper is dead, why are papers stalling?? Just waiting for any sign the online model will work?
    Educate me.

(For the record, I feel the print edition could thrive again if newspapers became newspapers again; pursued interesting stories and stories that affect people and actually charged money for those stories; had no online site at all, except to help out the public in terms of IMPORTANT breaking news. But just putting the bare bones in those stories. Newspapers are not newspapers anymore; that is why they will be gone in 5 years)

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Well, the answer is pretty simple. The newspaper is paying the bill, still.
    In many cases, nearly 90% of the profit comes from print.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Our paper has more readers than it ever has.

Unfortunately, many of those readers are not paying to read the product.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

yep, yep.
    my paper's readership has never been higher. ever.
    yet, we are stilling cutting back and we all walk on eggshells waiting for the next ax to fall.

Draft saved Draft deleted