1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Negatives

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's true but the average citizen does not realize how much The Koch Brothers are driving this price increase.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, if we just cut the payroll taxes, that would give people... Oh, wait.

Maybe we'll cut the gas taxes. LOL. Like that would ever happen.

Gas taxes specifically fund road construction. They can't cut them. It's not like payroll taxes directly fund... Oh, wait.

3. YankeeFan

The trend is not good for our President:

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

This is mostly a waste of time and energy. This Far out, everyone wants it to be interesting, but I have very little doubt that Obama will be re-elected, and I don't think it will be all that close.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the situation is roughly the same as today, I kind of agree with you Guy. But I doubt Obama comes close to his win percentage of '08. About 51-51.5 percent is his ceiling. And events can and will change the equation -- one way or the other.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The biggest negative I can see is he hasn't been liberal enough. I regret that he started negotations for the health care bill basically in the middle and then went right. I think he did a good job with the stimulus and starting to get us out of illegal and costly (in deaths and dollars) wars. I think he needs to use the bully pulpit more and should be studying tapes of Clinton for lessons in doing so.

7. YankeeFan

The President is speaking live now about gas prices.

He knocks his opponents plan as being just, "if we drill more, prices will come down."

I'm not sure he can win this argument. And, I'm not sure it helps him to call more attention to it by giving a speech.

Ah, here comes the strawman argument portion of the speech.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He seems to think that ending "foreign dependency" will make prices come down. Does he realize that
    oil prices are set based on West Texas crude futures price.

9. YankeeFan

The host on MSNBC just said, most Americans know the President really can't do anything about gas prices, that's up to the "speculators on Wall St." right now. He then suggested Attorney General Holder use his subpoena power to 'open an investigation".

Wow. The media is going to do all they can to protect the President on this issue.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

West Texas is a foreign country. At least, until West Texas U. joins the Big East.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No, The Media won't. Some will attempt to put the oil prices in a larger context than simplistic, evangelical partisan U.S. politics and some will blame Obama directly for personally raising the cost of gas. And many will fall somewhere in the that spectrum.

But when the WSJ and FoxNews blame Obama for the setting Sun and praise Mitch McConnell for causing the Sun to rise, it's completely disingenious to argue that The Media is in the tank for Obama.

=

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When nothing happens in Iran and the speculatory bubble pops, it will be a glorious day for all Americans.

Draft saved Draft deleted