1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama may run for president

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There is, however, a wagonload of misplaced ego in certain places.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Clinton gets so much credit for being a great orator, having an "aura" about him, etc., etc. that people forget that the guy is an absolute policy savant. Now you might not always agree with all of his stances. And not all of them worked perfectly. But I always got the idea that Clinton wanted to be a politician for the right reasons. He wasn't an empty suit. He loves government even more than he loves the game.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not only that, but he wouldn't have made such a move had he not already begun to build some kind of national organization. He's much smarter than that; my guess is he began laying the groundwork several months ago for a possible-if-not-probable run in 2008.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You have to figure Obama has done the math.
    He thinks he can win in Ohio, and along with the state's Kerry won Barack is President even with roughly 35 percent of the country dead set against him.
    Plus, Hillary isn't especially popular, despite being able to raise tons of money. Same is true for Gore.
    As Obama begins a long Senate career he starts picking up baggage and it gets harder and harder to get elected.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I don't think I (or anyone, really) knows enough about Obama yet, but I don't see any way that staying in the Senate for another four (or eight) years helps him at all.

As every Senator who's run for President lately knows, you just wind up casting a lot of votes that can be twisted (e.g., "Voted 3,000 times for tax increases"....)

So if he's going to run, it's best to run now. What does he have to lose? He can always stay in the Senate.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Joe Klein had a pretty good Obama piece in the last "Time." Got him flustered a little bit by trying to force him into some strong opinions with Obama resisting while all the while Illinois crowds cheered him wildly.

Whoever made the Kennedy comparison was dead on.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I find a man with an interesting story, though in no way unique, outside of national politics. He lacks any administrative and executive experience and has put forth no original ideas on dealing with any issue. It's very patronizing to see a man of color who speaks in complete, intelligible sentences and annoit him with some prophet-like aura.

OTOH, no one else has made any seperation from the same-old refrains of leftleaning democrat dogma or right wing fundementalism.

We're getting to the point in this country where we'll take a chance anyone who seems different and confident.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yes, it's because I'm a Jayhawk. Because you know Dems have ruled the state like Chicago for generations.

And abbott, as for "It's very patronizing to see a man of color who speaks in complete, intelligible sentences and annoit [sic] him with some prophet-like aura." I don't believe people patronize him because he's part-black and speaks in complete sentences. I believe people patronize him because he's one of the few people who actually gives Democrats hope that they might have a candidate worth voting for, i.e. not by default.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

GOP is dying to run against Hillary in a general election.

They are scared shitless of Obama.

If that doesn't make the smart choice for Democratic nominee in 2008 as obvious as the sun in the sky, I don't know what will.

Obama will be 47 in 2008. How much experience did Teddy Roosevelt (age 42) or JFK (43) have when they were elected?

And how much experience did our current Moron-In-Chief have? First 40 years of his life he was a wasteoid. Then he failed as a businessman. Then as a baseball team owner. Coddled and sheltered and covered-up for all his life, he then spent a little time as governor of Texas, where he spent an average of 15 minutes reviewing clemency cases (most governors spend days on each case).

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

And he traded Sosa!

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

If the Democrats don't run Obama, perhaps with Edwards as a running mate, then they clearly don't know what the hell they're doing.

It sucks that a woman still can't win a presidential election here because people are turned off by strong women, but how about they win an election, THEN worry about changing the world. Running Hillary as some sort of sacrificial lamb to the good fight is suicide.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Warner isn't running for president . . . which many believe would make him an ideal VP pick.

Obama-Warner is my dream ticket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.