1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama may run for president

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think he should wait.

3. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

He probably should, from an experience standpoint, but he's got a good shot at winning now. That's got to be hard to turn down.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agreed. I'll still vote for him, though, until he gives me a reason otherwise.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would vote for him right now, without any more knowledge on the issues, because he just seems to get things done. He would make a far better candidate than Hillary -- because of who she is, she wouldn't receive X amount of votes before she even speaks about the issues.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He can't wait much longer, he's accumulated as much political capital as he'll ever have.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I would probably vote for him. But he should wait. Even if he should get past the Clinton political machine in the primaries and defeat the GOP opponent, he'll have a lot of problems to deal with when he gets into office.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

The more I read about him and of him, the more I see thngs to like. I question the expereince factor but I would vote for him.

My bigger question: Is a minority, and bi-racial at that, electible in this country at this time?

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I like this bit from this story:

NBC’s Tim Russert also asked Obama about an excerpt in his new book in which he describes a White House visit and President Bush’s “messianic certainty.”

“I think that the president has come to approach the problems we face in very ideological, absolutist terms, and I think that’s, to a large degree, characterized how the Republicans who’ve been controlling Congress have operated over the last several years,” Obama said. “And I think that has been a mistake.”

Obama said he thought that “certainty” has precluded Bush from “looking at issues based on facts as opposed to based on ideology.

“And I, you know, I quote in the book one of my favorite stories from the Senate when Daniel Patrick Moynihan of New York is in an argument with a colleague on the floor, and the colleague’s probably not doing too well in that argument, Pat Moynihan was a pretty smart guy, and at some point, the other senator gets frustrated and says, ‘Well, you know what, Pat? You’re just entitled to your own opinion and I’m entitled to mine.’

“And, and Moynihan frostily, I—I’m sure, says, ‘You are entitled to your opinion, but you’re not entitled to your own facts.’

“And I think this administration has, has not always understood that distinction. And that’s part of the reason why we’ve had problems in Iraq and that’s part of the reason why we’ve had problems with our, with our budget. There’s been an unwillingness to look squarely at the facts in making decisions.”

Great point. If Obama runs, he's got my vote.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Now all he has to do is provide the facts that are being overlooked and come up with the solutions that are being missed.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Guys, I like Obama a ton. He may be the real deal. But... not quite yet. Not for the presidency. I'm just a little skittish on his lack of executive experience. Maybe he's on the ticket as the veep? Groom him for 2012? I dunno. Still, would be tough to vote for someone else if he ran in 2008.

If you get a chance read one of his books. Very intelligent guy, hasn't made a political misstep yet. Astute. Erudite. A moderate, really. Just wish he'd have a least a complete Senate term under his belt.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

In a perfect world, Obama would get executive experience and wait. But we don't live in a perfect world. Obama will never have a better chance. His national image is pristine, the rank-and-file Dems don't like their front-runner and this is a period when Americans will be open to reconciliation and someone with an internationalist perspective. Who knows what that this world will be like in 2012 or 2016. Also, right now Dems find Obama's lecturing to be refreshing. In 8 years, they might consider him to be Chicago's answer to Pat Moynihan: a whip-smart Senator who spends more time lecturing liberals than conservatives. Being VP would be murder for his political career: his appeal has always been his political independence. If he becomes VP, he has to defend the administration line. Always and forever. And then he becomes just another politician.

That said, if I was running a campaign against him, I would attack him like Mondale did Hart in 84: point out that Obama says many wonderful things, but with little substance. I watched Obama on MTP this morning and he was eloquent and did a good job parrying Russert's thrusts and feints. He is the best orator on the national scene since Mario Cuomo. Russert found a quote of Obama's about how Dems need to realize that not all government programs work and they shouldn't reflexively defend government programs that need to be eliminated (that is a very rough paraphrase, but I got the basic gist right). Russert asked Obama to name the programs and Obama talked about how Medicare/Medicaid still uses paper billing. That's a nice little government inefficiency that should be corrected, but it isn't a government program that needs elimination. Right now, Obama is popular as a symbol of what he represents: the hope for that perfect politician. The national press has revered Obama, but once he starts running, they will grill him. I wonder how well his image can hold up in a national campaign.

Lets also remember that he is in a similar position to Colin Powell and Condi Rice. All of them are incredibly bright people with great personal stories that Americans love. Because we don't view them as typical politicians, we can imagine where they stand on the issues to make them into the candidate we want. Even though he is a Senator, Obama has rarely been put in a corner to come out with definitive views. He has never had a real race: Alan Keyes was the Indiana State to Obama's Notre Dame in the Senate race: Keyes just ran around being his nutty self and Obama said his platitudes and everyone liked him. But as soon as Obama begins campaigning, everyone is going to try to nail his views down. The labor unions are going to want his exact position on free trade, NARAL will want to judge his commitment to abortion rights, centrist business leaders and environmentalists are going to want to know where he stands on environmental protection, etc. And once he is forced into concrete stands, he will piss someone off and his popularity goes downward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.