1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Job Speech to Congress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 9, 2011.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

To us, he was Goliath the consensus-builder!

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I heard the Warren Buffet line and thought he can't be actully using that again in this speech.

Brought me back to my youth when my mother would hold out the example of little Jimmy. "I bet Jimmy would not talk to his mother that way"

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He's in the basement, poring through his stacks of 1980s New York Times. He'll be with you in a moment. :D

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Us hyper-informed people think that, but I bet it resonated with others.

When he rolled out the Warren Buffet line, my wife started clapping on our couch and said, "Oh, yeah!" like it was match point.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Save us, historical government-funded career re-trainers!

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=4088#axzz1XSpeHd23

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

8 times. Each time, to introduce an idea, not to lecture.

First instance of, "I have a dream" comes in the 12th paragraph.

King gave a grand speech. He spoke of a better America. He set forth a vision.

Obama asked for money, and he lectured.

Obama is no King.

7. Boom_70

Fat Cash

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The hyper informed know who Buffett is and have heard the line a million times.

The uninformed still have no idea who he is.

9. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

This is a simplistic analysis, I know, but I see Obama's biggest problem right now as something I'll label the "Boy Crying Wolf" factor.

He keeps going back to the well -- the "well" being the U.S. Treasury -- and promising this "spending half a trillion dollars is going to work this time."

He's already spent so much freaking money and accomplished what? Allowed many state and local governments to delay (not permanently eliminate) layoffs of teachers, police and firefighters. Extended unemployment benefits for millions of people who'd rather have a job than a handout.

Mostly, buried us in debt that (as Ragu, who knows a lot more about economic concepts than most of us here) will continue to have ramifications long after he has left office.

Nothing the president has done so far has generated any confidence whatsoever that he (or anyone who works for him) has any clue how to effectively stimulate the economy or even understands how to create an environment that encourages companies to hire.

It's just more of the same "Spend, spend, spend" with promises to pay it all back down the road that he knows he'll never have to honor.

I voted for Obama and hoped he would be the rare politician who actually became what he promised he would be during the campaign. But I can no longer in good conscience continue to buy what he's selling -- and I doubt I'm alone in that regard.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think even people who liked the speech think it's something that would have meant a hell of a lot more if he did this a couple years ago.

11. Boom_70

He is acting like a pilot commanding a plane that is hurdling out of control into the ocean. Nothing has worked and he is now just pushing every button and flipping every toggle.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Republican response was interesting:

Draft saved Draft deleted