1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Job Speech to Congress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not suggesting that I look at Romney or Perry and think, "This is the guy who will fix everything..." but I think you look at Obama right now and think, "This guy is so over his head it's scary."

That may be the case for anyone who is in the office these days, I don't know...

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In this case, the two are coincidentally analogous, even though they frequently aren't.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think there's some confirmation bias in that statement. I've read a lot of serious economists on the matter, and I don't think they are all that unanimous on the issue.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You can't guarantee any future spending cuts. This Congress & President can't tell the next one what to spend.

So, why should any of us believe the future cuts will come?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The board kindergartner is contributing his usual thoughtful analysis.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/02/15/us/reagan-jobs-bill-gains-momentum-with-democrats.html

The Reagan Administration has long derided publicly funded jobs programs as ''make work'' efforts that are both useless and costly. The Democrats pushed a $5.4 billion package through the House last December, but dropped the issue in the face of a veto threat from the White House. Warned of Political Suicide

But since then, Republican leaders have warned the Administration that it would be political suicide to oppose jobs legislation in the new Congress, and last week, the White House sent a delegation to Capitol Hill to offer the package that is now under discussion.

The Democrats acknowledge that the White House decision to back some form of jobs legislation could rob them of one of their best political issues: the charge that the Republicans are insensitive to the needs of working Americans. ''They help them themselves politically when they do that,'' Mr. Foley said.

But the Democrats also say that they have no choice but to go along with the White House if a compromise seems possible. ''If the President is willing to come in our direction,'' the Democratic whip added, ''we have to find a way to get this done.''

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

That was at least a high school insult, Dick. At least.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I wonder what David Foster Wallace thinks.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just a few posts ago, I said I wouldn't mind seeing one party - any party - control the presidency, the House, and the Senate, just so something can get moving again.

And then you accuse me of being an Obama fanboi?

I pride myself on trying to see things both ways. I get a little testy when I get accused of being in the tank, be it for a politician, a political party, or a sports team. I have no idols.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Translucent.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, let's be honest, it was a terrible speech.

There was no optimism, no grand vision. There was no memorable line -- unless you want to count, "you should pass this bill right away."

The text was clunky, and he looked stressed out, desperate.

He repeated the same phrase 17 times. No great speech in history has ever done that. School children will not be learning this speech 50 years from now.

He came before a Joint Session of Congress, and he gave a campaign speech. He lectured. He spoke in a tone as if speaking to slow witted children.

He proposed a lot of spending, but told us he'll tell us what the cuts are in a week or so. Really? That's un-fucking-believable.

He says, "pass this bill, right away," but he'll tell us how he pays for it later. Does he think we're stupid?

Plus, more "Warren Buffett," more "millionaires & billionaires." I almost expected him to tell us how he pushed the car out of the ditch while the Republicans watched, sipping Slurpies.

He looked small in that setting. That's tough for a President to do, but he did.

90% of his proposals are DOA. That doesn't help him, it doesn't help the jobs situation.

Go "sell" your bill Mr. President. Good luck.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Coach King needs to see you. Bring your playbook.

Draft saved Draft deleted