1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Job Speech to Congress

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Didn't we have that for a good portion of W's presidency?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Right. But that's the point. It will be fully paid for. Just not right now. We need stimulus right now. We need austerity in the long term. The bill, so far as I understand it, would account for both of those things.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I watched, mostly because they kept blasting fear updates about terrorists bombing my building or something near it.

All I heard was: Add another half trillion dollars of debt. We are going to cut spending! $2 trillion (never specifying that is $2 trillion over 10 years, not immediately). I am going to do it. Just you wait and see. I will have a plan! Soon. Honest.

Specifics? *crickets*

More of the same.

I wish him (and all of them) would just step out of the way and quit digging us in deeper into a mess. Half a trillion dollars of debt is not going to "stimulate" the economy any more than all the other wasted spending has. Stop already. Please. Go away. You exacerbate things. You took a nasty recession and turned it into what could very well become a decade-long stagflation problem because of your fiscal policy and the fucked up monetary measures the Central Bank is taking. Stop already. Please.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

"It will be fully paid for, just not right now..."

A lot of people have gone bankrupt after making that statement.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

We'll pay for it later. That's some high-level thinking that in no way has contributed to or could possibly exacerbate the mess we're in.

6. Dick Whitman

If you are comparing the government's spending strategies to yours or anyone's personal finances, you are completely out of your depth.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"fully paid for but just not right now"

Since I did not watch speech I have no context, but it just seems like it is a line that you do not want to have the President uttering.

Does anyone who watched think speech would have had more impact if it was made in prime time on a different day?

8. Dick Whitman

It is what just about any serious economist recommends right now.

But I'm sure you know better.

9. Dick Whitman

He wasn't quoting the president, he was quoting me.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Any proposed spending cut that is not taking effect in the immediate term is BS. Be it social spending, defense, whatever.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did you miss the first two years of the Obama Presidency?

This is not a Stimulus bill! LOL. It's a jobs bill. He didn't even use the term stimulus, that's how poorly judged the last stimulus bill was.

But, you can't open your speech by saying that everything you're going to propose will be paid for, and then it turns out it will be paid for over 10 years.

That's the definition of putting something on your credit card.

And, what happens when we need more stimulus another jobs bill? How do we pay for that? On the credit card again?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You leave my Obama alone! [/DickWhitman]

Draft saved Draft deleted