1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Insults the democrat Base

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Can't imagine why Hillary would be mad about these comments. After all, they're "just words."

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's a nice thought, but the original statement was asking about why he is trailing among Pennsylvania Democrats in the Democratic primary that is closed to all but party members. Kind of hard to put all the blame for this one on the mean old GOP.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

"Cling to religion"... what a STUPID thing to say.

I voted for him, but he can kiss my ass right about now.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

For God's sake, read the whole context.

5. Lugnuts

Um - I have. And it was a completely idiotic thing to say.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Hillary's not bitter? Two words: Bill. Richardson.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The popcorn tastes especially good today.

Continue.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

read a lotta people saying that he phrased it wrong. Ain't read too many that said the message was incorrect.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Dammit. I can't find the link right now, but Bill Clinton has said the same thing in the past. He's said that since people know most politicians can't or won't do anything to help them economically, they'll vote on guns, gays and religion.

I'll look for the link later.

I also find it amusing that a person who made $109 million last year has the stones to call Obama an elitist.

10. Lugnuts

Oh please - he's using such a broad brush he can't get it out of the paint can.

He generalized and stereotyped - exactly the thing he said in that speech we all shouldn't do.

This guy had a shot, you know? But he needed to pitch a shutout. "Cling to religion"... you've got to be fucking kidding me. He just gave up a 3-run double.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

"Here's how it is: in a lot of these communities in big industrial states like Ohio and Pennsylvania, people have been beaten down so long, and they feel so betrayed by government, and when they hear a pitch that is premised on not being cynical about government, then a part of them just doesn't buy it. And when it's delivered by -- it's true that when it's delivered by a 46-year-old black man named Barack Obama (laugher), then that adds another layer of skepticism.

You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

There's the full quote. He's clearly talking about "clinging" to those things in regards to voting against their own economic interests.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why that upsets anyone. It's true. And, what's more, people know it's true.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Actually, to be technical, it's a democratic republic.

And I wish I could vote for Obama twice now.

Draft saved Draft deleted