1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Insults the democrat Base

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 13, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

More likely regional Kleagle.

But do you suppose Mr. Franklin harbors any bitterness? Any antipathy to people who aren't like him?

2. One truly has nothing to do with another.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This is exactly right.
    I'm particularly sad about Clinton's take on this.
    I've tried to close my ears to a lot of the Clinton attacks on Obama, because I know stuff happens when people are competing, and I actually debated long and hard before voting for Obama instead of Hillary in my state's primary.
    But her response to this was really sad. The people Obama is talking about don't "sound like" the people she knows, the people she grew up with.
    Jesus H. Christ.
    There's a reason for that. She grew up in privilege in the Chicago suburbs, and she's been a rich lawyer her entire adult life.
    Actually, they sound like the people I grew up with, in blue-collar Virginia and North Carolina. If Hillary Clinton has ever been closer to any of those folks than a grip-and-grin campaign photo session, I will kiss her power-suited ass.

Also, I think ultimately, this is going to be a bigger problem for Obama than being black: He says stuff that politicians aren't supposed to say.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This country will never emerge from its current decline until it has leaders willing to tell people that in a democracy, voters are ultimately responsible for all fuckups. Ergo, we will never emerge from said decline.

5. joe

joe Active Member

Tempest, meet teapot.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What's John Kerry got to do with this?

7. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Yo,

The United States is a republic, not a democracy.

Thanks, and continue playing while I enjoy the implosion of the DNC (any group that has Howard Dean as its leader deserves this).

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is a republic, not a democracy? John Birch lives !!!

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The thing is, no matter what Obama says, all we're going to hear about is the word 'bitter'.

And that's because the majority of TV and radio talk-show media and plenty of voters have the attention spans of 3-year-olds. Never mind that what Obama said has some truth to it, or that our economy is the shits, or we're in a war based upon lies, he's calling the voters 'bitter'!

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I tried to find some people in my area to comment today, but they were either all in church bitching about illegal aliens out out hunting.

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I think he's talking about McCain.

And while Obama has some very good points, he needed to phrase it a whole lot better, especially without catchy words like "bitter" that sound like he's putting someone down and, more importantly, can be extracted and used as an inflammatory soundbyte.

Obama has lost a lot of momentum since the night of the Texas & Ohio primaries, and this is only going to make it a lot worse.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

And you know what? For better or worse, that's how the game is played nowadays. And no one candidate, no matter how charismatic or intelligent, is going to change that.

The repubs have mastered that game. Unless the dems do likewise and stop acting like they're too good to play that game, they won't get back the White House.

Draft saved Draft deleted