1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama, Hillary or McCain ... does it even matter?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jps, May 2, 2008.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I was invited today to a John McCain 2008 Cinco de Mayo party. After I got over my initial shock that such an event exists, I confirmed my attendance (it's free, after all). I will document here any unintentionally funny/offensive moments.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Then don't fucking vote. I'm certain the democratic process will survive without hockeybeat's participation. Now can you quit this self-indulgent game? The world doesn't give a shit about whether you vote. In fact, I urge you not to vote. An apathetic vote is a wasted vote anyways.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, the right to privacy, which he so callously eschewed in Dronenburg v. Zech, is a "liberal pet project." Only the liberals care about privacy. I'm glad one of you wingnuts can finally admit it.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought Bork got spiked because he would have been a shitty Supreme Court justice.
    And that was the consensus opinion of those in charge at the time.
    I don't think anything has changed, Bork is still a whack job.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Um, you are so far off on this one it isn't even funny -- nowhere have I said I support Judge Bork. I just had the audacity to point out that he was spiked by liberals mostly because his politics were conservative and I'm quite sure his actions in the 70's would have been swept under the rug by the same liberals who derailed his nomination had he had a record that was pro-abortion, pro-diversity laws, pro-gun control laws etc., etc.......

As for the right to privacy -- I'd say there has been no bigger or more consistent defender of the bill of rights and the constitution on these threads than me so again, you are barking way up the wrong tree.

And my original point, which went way over your head of course, was simple -- that the race to get either liberal or conservative leaning justices on the Supreme Court has in effect ensured that this is a country that will be governed by nine lawyers in Washington who have a lifetime appointment and can never be voted out of office..........

It is really simple -- as long as we have big-party politicians choosing supreme court justices we'll have politically motivated courts that create bad laws (or I'm sorry precedents) through their ridiculous perversions (I'm sorry interpretations) of the constitution.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Not voting is never the best course of action. I'd rather you write in your own name than stay on the sidelines.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

God bless you zagoshe.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Don't forget the camera phone!!!

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's a good thing they did that when they did. Think of the cries of "activist judges!" if they'd had to wait until now.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that does what you think it does. Brown was revolutionary more for its rejection of established precedent (Dred Scott) than for inventing new rights in the text of the constitution.

Draft saved Draft deleted